• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow cooker vs. pressure cooker

LNorman

Two aspects about the Presto are a bit dated: they use aluminum and should not be used with acidic foods; they don't have a safety puck (about .3 inch diameter) which will blow out if the wobbley part fails (might get gummed up under pressure). The modern stainless steel pressure cookers have that added degree of safety.

Some older prestos do have the safety puck; and not all the older ones are aluminum. At least, the one that my mother bought in 1956 after her wedding was stainless; I don't remember if it had the rubber puck or not, but I think that it did. And it is still in use today, probably 1 or 2 gasket replacements later.

I like my newer ones better only because they have a flat bottom that makes sauteeing at the start of a recipe easier than the oddly ridged surface of the old one.

I have 2 pressure cookers - a Kuhn Rikon and a Bravetti and each has 2 bases for their lids. The Bravetti is a little ( well a lot) clunky looking but was dirt cheap -$35.00 on Overstock.com. It has the most convenient sizes for what I cook.

I make great wild rice the "national dish" of Minnesota, risotto, stews of all kinds and always tender, perfectly cooked chicken breasts ( 5 min), whole artichokes and vegetable soup is better in the PC. A pasta sauce with meat is especially rich tasting.

Has anyone used it to steam puddings? Or do cheesecake?