• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need your opinion on a seafood resturant..

Have you tried the Beach House at Purdy? I haven't, but they used to post here and it sounded worth the drive - for you it is close by:

sounds tasty

Please do try the Beach House. I've been wanting to find out if its any good so I can decide if its worth the drive. You'd be doing a public service, really... :biggrin:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

yeah...purdy is close by...in fact we just came from there...I wanted to show her the spit. I didn't see the beach house though. I'll check it out if she's up for it but i think she wants to go into seattle tonight. I'll let you know. Thanks for the recomendation.

I've been to The Beach House several times and think it's really good.

It's a little hard to spot from the road at night...but worth finding.

What places in Seattle would you compare it to quality-wise? I remember reading at some point that the chef had pretty lofty ambitions when he first opened the place.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

tighe, I've gone there because we have friends who live in Gig Harbor...so it's a convenient place to meet.

I can't say that I'd drive FROM Seattle to eat there given all the great places in the city.

That said, we've had the duck a few times and also salmon. It's what I would call 'straight-forward' cooking rather than anything that tries to be as creative as Union, for instance.

tighe, I've gone there because we have friends who live in Gig Harbor...so it's a convenient place to meet.

I can't say that I'd drive FROM Seattle to eat there given all the great places in the city.

That said, we've had the duck a few times and also salmon. It's what I would call 'straight-forward' cooking rather than anything that tries to be as creative as Union, for instance.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll put it on the list of places to consider if I'm down that direction for other reasons.

It's interesting how the chef, Gordon Naccarato, came from some high-profile jobs in Aspen and LA to open the Beach House. He also was part of an F&W Best New Chef group in '88 that included Bayless, Boulud, Hammersley, and Keller x 2, among others. I wonder if he initially had hopes of doing something more ambitious but the area wouldn't support it.

I am heading down to Seattle from Vancouver, B.C. in a couple of weeks. We have always had a great time at Christine Keff's Flying Fish. I had heard that Fandango - her other place across the street had closed - can anyone confirm. We actuall went in there on their opening night - just happened to be there.

Wild Ginger - I hear it is in a new location - any comments ?

Zoe - I had a great couple on snacks there. Does anyone have comments about dinner.

Love the Palace Kitchen. Did not love the new Dahlia Lounge local. Has it improved from a couple of years ago.

Any other Seattle restaurants I should visit. We drop the kids with the sister - in law and have about 36 hours to go crazy !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

skip Wild Ginger. if you really want that sort of stuff, it's equally available in YVR and for far less money and far more authenticity.

Zoe and Palace Kitchen are total winners, as i think was discussed in another thread.

and my regrets for not at least dropping by your restaurant when we were up in your neck of the woods a few weeks back. had no idea you were on eG, but i remember being very impressed recently to see your praise for Zoe and wishing we'd lingered a while in Yaletown ...

I second the Beach House. It's got great beach cabin ambiance and the food was very enjoyable as was the service. We had a great time although I admit I can't remember what we had! It's right off the Purdy Exit of Hwy 16 and is on the left at the intersection just before the bridge crosses over to the Key Peninsula. I can't think of a better place to eat if you find yourself on that side of the water....

I am heading down to Seattle from Vancouver, B.C. in a couple of weeks. We have always had a great time at Christine Keff's Flying Fish. I had heard that Fandango - her other place across the street had closed - can anyone confirm. We actuall went in there on their opening night - just happened to be there.

Wild Ginger - I hear it is in a new location - any comments ?

Zoe - I had a great couple on snacks there. Does anyone have comments about dinner.

Love the Palace Kitchen. Did not love the new Dahlia Lounge local. Has it improved from a couple of years ago.

Any other Seattle restaurants I should visit. We drop the kids with the sister - in law and have about 36 hours to go crazy !

There was a recent article in the Times I think, commenting on how Dahlia has really improved their service and food recently thanks to them having the James Beard award.

I think Union is a great "must check out" as is Salumi for lunch if you've never been (didn't I read about your love of sasauge on the BC site?). I think Le Pichet is a real treat if you like bistro french and how about checking out the cocktails at Sambar next to Le Gourmand in Ballard for an off the beaten path find?

Have fun while your here! Oh and Fandango is indeed closed.

Is Salumi Mario Batali's father's place ?

I understand it is in Seattle. My wife loves Mario. We call him her boyfriend !

P.S. we are working on pastrami

yep! But it's only open Tues-Fri from 11 -4 so plan accordingly. Late in the afternoon is better as you can usually snag a seat at the communal table and have some vino with your yummy meat!

How about drinks atop the Space Needle followed by dinner at Zoe or Flying Fish? We had an awesome mainly-seafood dinner at Zoe last night. They have great non-seafood things as well, but chef Scott Staples became known originally at Kirkland's Third Floor Fish Cafe, and that shows. We had a grilled octopus starter as well as sea scallops and halibut -- all very flavorful and perfectly prepared.

The best seafood with a view is at Ponti and Kaspar's. I've always had excellent food at both, and both have fairly creative menus and nice atmospheres. But Zoe and Flying Fish are more creative and edgy.

Waterfront, Palisade, and Ray's are fine restaurants, but these other places are much more interesting.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Burger (log)

I remember a good view of the sound from at least one of Kaspars' private dining rooms at their current location. I'm not sure whether there's a view from the main dining room -- I think there is, but it might be worth a check (or at least a phone call).

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the Waterfront, but I've only been there once. We were there for the 25 for $25, and throughout our meal the service was snobby and not well-coordinated. They brought out our dinners when I was still visibly eating my salad, and took my plate away anyway, without asking if I minded or offering an apology. My son had the white salmon, which was heartbreakingly good, but my scallops were overdone. And then once a huge group of fiteen were seated next to us, our server blatantly ignored us for over half an hour. I had to get up and ask him to bring us our check. So while I'd like to go back and give them a try, I'm scared of having the same type of experience and paying way too much money for it.