• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fuji

mrbigjas

Sources close to Cool Papa Bell, or whatever name I use on this board, and reliable sources at that, tell me the owners of Le Bec Fin is talking some serious business with Matt Ito. Perhaps a move to Philly when the clean up route 130?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Sources close to Cool Papa Bell, or whatever name I use on this board, and reliable sources at that, tell me the owners of Le Bec Fin is talking some serious business with Matt Ito.  Perhaps a move to Philly when the clean up route 130?

This is an interesting rumor. Can we get some confirmation or more facts? When is the Route 130 "clean up" scheduled to take place?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sources close to Cool Papa Bell, or whatever name I use on this board, and reliable sources at that, tell me the owners of Le Bec Fin is talking some serious business with Matt Ito.  Perhaps a move to Philly when the clean up route 130?

This is an interesting rumor. Can we get some confirmation or more facts? When is the Route 130 "clean up" scheduled to take place?

My source is 100 percent reliable, but no definitive word if Matt is receptive. Source tells me he thinks Matt is too independant to bite. He'll find out more for me.

Well I mean he or she...I have to keep her...or him confidential. Hint: my source is not Bob Woodward.

But it could be.

---Yogi Berra

My source is 100 percent reliable, but no definitive word if Matt is receptive. Source tells me he thinks Matt is too independant to bite. He'll find out more for me.

Well I mean he or she...I have to keep her...or him confidential. Hint: my source is not Bob Woodward.

But it could be.

I can't imagine Matt wanting to deal with Chef Perrier as a business partner in any way shape or form. And yeah - he's owned his own business for decades. Why take a step backward and suddenly have to answer to someone else? Especially if they are a pan throwing, obscenity screaming lunatic with a Napoleon complex? :wacko: YIKES! I'm just not seeing this having any traction.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

... a pan throwing, obscenity screaming lunatic with a Napoleon complex?  :wacko: YIKES!  I'm just not seeing this having any traction.

No, Katie, don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel...

The issue is what sort of financial situation Matt finds himself in with the closing. I assume the township exercised some variation on eminent domain, which probably means he did not receive quite fair market value for the current place.

I also don't think Mr. Ito is quite a big-city kinda chef. I got the sense he liked some of the quieter nights at Fuji.

If I die without having ever eaten at Le Bec Fin or any of Thomas Keller's restaurants, I will still be happy with the memory of an omakase dinner with my wife, daughter and brother (visiting from California) at Fuji in February 2003.

I'm not sure I would have bought the French Laundry Cookbook had I not eaten at Chef Itoh's oasis. If he did decide to move to Philadelphia, an oasis is exactly what it would be. I would challenge anyone to be distracted while his food is performing for their tastebuds.

An article about Fuji's relocation:

Fuji article

The township is not using eminent domain - Fuji is leased, and the owner is willingly selling to the township. So Matt's not being compensated.

:sad:

Can they really do that??!!?? :unsure:

That sucks fiercely for Matt, who has been an a beacon of honesty and hard work in that strip of no-tell motels for years. That really doesn't seem fair. I can understand the township wanting to make improvements but it just seems that Fuji (and Matt) are being punished for not being a sleazy low rent crime ridden business and keeping up with their neighbors.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

An article about Fuji's relocation:

Fuji article

The township is not using eminent domain - Fuji is leased, and the owner is willingly selling to the township. So Matt's not being compensated.

:sad:

Can they really do that??!!?? :unsure:

That sucks fiercely for Matt, who has been an a beacon of honesty and hard work in that strip of no-tell motels for years. That really doesn't seem fair. I can understand the township wanting to make improvements but it just seems that Fuji (and Matt) are being punished for not being a sleazy low rent crime ridden business and keeping up with their neighbors.

Now, now Katie. I’m no apologist for state, local or federal gubmint, but I think your anger should be at Matt’s landlord as he/she (probably a she j/k) sold out. It’s the landlord who’s treating him like rainbow roll compost.

But if he doesn’t wind up on his feet somewhere, I may never visit the family again. Mikado is good, but no Fuji. Man can’t live on cheesesteaks alone.

And what’s wrong with no-tell motels? I made some good money when I was a South Jersey gigolo.

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

---Yogi Berra

Now, now Katie. I’m no apologist for state, local or federal gubmint, but I think your anger should be at Matt’s landlord as he/she (probably a she j/k) sold out. It’s the landlord who’s treating him like rainbow roll compost.

True 'dis. I suppose I shouldn't expect any better from a sleazy motel owner, no?

And what’s wrong with no-tell motels? I made some good money when I was a South Jersey gigolo.

The phrase South Jersey gigolo is making me shudder. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I would think that the lease has or is about to expire. Otherwise he would have some recourse with the landlord. Usually there is ample early warning to the tenant about the ending of the lease and the building. It should have not been a surprise. Tenants often have to move, especially after a long lease.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I would think that the lease has or is about to expire. Otherwise he would have some recourse with the landlord. Usually there is ample early warning to the tenant about the ending of the lease and the building. It should have not been a surprise. Tenants often have to move, especially after a long lease.

Unless part of the deal the landlord is getting includes the cost of buying out Fuji's lease.

I have very mixed feelings about the situation. The redevelopment is literally a mile from my house. If Fuji goes, I'd be pissed. I'm spoiled having such a great place right down the street. But losing a few of those hotels would be a good thing. The construction will be a nightmare, too.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

If he's looking for kindred spirits, he should check out Narberth. Le Petit Mitron's Isabelle & Patrick Rurange share his work ethic and are cut from the same "national treasure" material. Also, there are plenty of Japanese expatriates and admirers of all things Japanese shopping at Maido around the corner.

Not to mention it's easily accessible by public transit.

Edited to slap myself for saying in an earlier post that I had an "omakase" dinner at Fuji, when in fact I had a "kaiseki" dinner with my family.

Edited by bob tenaglio (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody hear any news about Chef Ito? I just read Michael Ruhlman's Reach of a Chef and there's a story about a strip-mall sushi chef named Masayoshi Takayama. Thomas Keller talked him into moving next to Per Se, and now he's charging the highest prices in the country, $420 a person to start including mandatory gratuity. People (like Ruhlman & Bourdain) who eat there say it's a steal! Surely we can find a way to keep Chef Ito in the Philly area, but his food would warrant NY prices wherever he went.

I just spoke to Chef Matt directly. His lease is good through at least the end of July. After that I guess it might be month to month or sketchy at best. He is actively seeking a new venue - his preference is Center City Philly but I'm certain he'd be happy to look at other appropriate venues. I think the Narberth suggestion is certainly a good one, as the rent certainly wouldn't be anything like what Center City rent might be (about $6K/month in prime areas!) and might allow him to keep his pricing reasonable.

If anyone has a lead on a good restaurant space feel free to PM me. I'll pass the information on to Chef Matt immediately. We must make it our (utterly selfish) mission to keep Matt and Fuji here in Philly!! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Anybody hear any news about Chef Ito? I just read Michael Ruhlman's Reach of a Chef and there's a story about a strip-mall sushi chef named Masayoshi Takayama. Thomas Keller talked him into moving next to Per Se, and now he's charging the highest prices in the country, $420 a person to start including mandatory gratuity. People (like Ruhlman & Bourdain) who eat there say it's a steal!

Yea, he opened Masa and Bar Masa, and part of the reason it's so pricey is that Bar Masa has like a 7 seat sushi bar, and that's it.

I forget how many seats Masa has, but it's not many, and with real estate prices like that (even subsidized), it'll be expensive.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Have Matt look in Fishtown. Aside from the pun of a locale, the rents are still cheaper than NoLib and Old City.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Any word on potential new locations?  The clock is really ticking now.

My sister has been going once a week for the last few months to get her fill before it closes. She asked Matt last week about relocating and he told her that he is looking at space across 130 on Cinnaminson Ave, but there's nothing definite. He'd like to stay nearby if possible because of his loyal local customers.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.