• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinot Noir the other red wine

CtznCane

IF Cabernet Sauvignon is the king of wines then Pinot Noir must be the princess, and all sexisms aside what red blooded American male didn't prefer the princess?

Well when it comes to Pinot Noirs two vineyards stand out for me. Starting from the bottom, second I would say Fess Parker Vineyards. Yes, Daniel Boone for those of us who remember. A very nice Santa Barbara region Pinor Noir. Their Marcellas' vineyard is their best thougj all are enjoyable.

Moving farther north I might toss in Opolo Vineyards. Another fine Pinot Noir.

The best of the best? J. Wine & Vineyards, both their Nicole and Robert Thomas Vineyards. These are the creme de la creme of Pinot Noirs. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? You betcha!!

Is there any coincidence that some of the finer sparkling wine wineries, ie J. Wine, Roederer Estate, Domaine Carneros, & Gloria Ferrer also have fine pinot noir still wines? I think not.

What are your favorites?

Edited by CtznCane (log)

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo