• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They're here!

john@thebar

The 2003 vintage Marquis Phillips reds have just been released in Chicagoland. I scooped up a mixed case: 3 each Shiraz and Sara's Blend, 2 Cab's, 2 Merlots, and 2 Shiraz #9. The retail price is up about 25% over 2002 but still ridiculously underpriced for the quality! As I write, the Sara's Blend I decanted about 2 hours ago is opening up beautifully. The #9 goes in the cellar for a couple of years and the rest I plan on enjoying over the next year. Sparky Marquis is a master winemaker and if he ever makes it to the Heartland I'd love to shake his hand and say thank you ( Who knows? Maybe he'll have a bottle of his 2002 Integrity in his other hand :wink:

Edited by john@thebar (log)

The 2003 vintage Marquis Phillips reds have just been released in Chicagoland. I scooped up a mixed case: 3 each Shiraz and Sara's Blend, 2 Cab's, 2 Merlots, and 2 Shiraz #9. The retail price is up about 25% over 2002 but still ridiculously underpriced for the quality! As I write, the Sara's Blend I decanted about 2 hours ago is opening up beautifully. The #9 goes in the cellar for a couple of years and the rest I plan on enjoying over the next year. Sparky Marquis is a master winemaker and if he ever makes it to the Heartland I'd love to shake his hand and say thank you ( Who knows? Maybe he'll have a bottle of his 2002 Integrity in his other hand :wink:

John,

So many people agree with you; it makes me wonder what I am missing.

Delighted to hear you are enjoying them

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

What kind of prices are you getting on those, John? My local retailer is selling the Shiraz and Sarah's blend for $15 a bottle (case price) and the Cabernet and Merlot at $14. Just trying to compare.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

What kind of prices are you getting on those, John?  My local retailer is selling the Shiraz and Sarah's blend for $15 a bottle (case price) and the Cabernet and Merlot at $14.  Just trying to compare.

Hi Dean, the cab, merlot, shiraz, and Sara' Blend are line priced at $16.99 and the #9 is $37.99, less a 10% mix & match 12 bottle discount. Last year they were $13.99 for the regular bottlings and I never saw the #9. Slainte!

John,

So many people agree with you; it makes me wonder what I am missing.

Delighted to hear you are enjoying them

Best, Jim

Hey Jim, great to get a chance to say hello and to thank you for sharing your insightful and beautifully expressed wine commentaries. Speaking for myself as an old plonk swizzler but a neophite eGulleteer and, if I may presume to, for the rest of the eGullet community, your generosity is much appreciated.

As to Marquis Phillips wines, let me say that they are NOT to be compared with Hommage a Jacques Perrin, nor are they reminiscent of any of Guigal's LaLa's. These are definately new world wines! However, Mr. Marquis's genius lies in his ability to produce very reasonably priced wines that (to use a couple of terribly over used cliches) are both "fruit bombs" and "beautifully integrated".

I'd love to hear what you think about these wines if the opportunity should present itself. In any event, once again, thanks for the knowledge!

Mr. Marquis's genius lies in his ability to produce very reasonably priced wines that (to use a couple of terribly over used cliches) are both "fruit bombs" and "beautifully integrated".

I'd love to hear what you think about these wines if the opportunity should present itself.

John,

I think your fruit bomb and beautifully integrated descriptors are well taken.

These wines seem more about the winemaker than the place of origin, give me the impression that they are manipulated, use too much wood for my taste and have a texture that reminds me more of a milk shake than wine.

Any one of these is, for my taste, a flaw; in concert, they create a wine I just can't drink. No, I take that back; I can drink them but I don't enjoy them and worse, I don't see much variation in them - it feels like they are putting out exactly the same wine every year at every price point.

Now, all that said, I speak only for my own palate; as I mention, there are so many people that agree with you, sometimes I wonder about myself. Maybe I'm jaded or I just don't want "fun" wines or . . .

Well, whatever, I am honestly pleased that that you and others enjoy them so much and that the prices for most of the line-up have remained reasonable.

I continue to believe that "the best wine in the world is the wine you like best."

And thanks for the kind words.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com