• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1/2 bottles?

chefdavidrusso

Do any of the wine stores local to Ridgewood carry a good selection of 1/2 bottles? It's rare that my wife and I will drink a full bottle at dinner any more, and I'd rather finish a 1/2 and be done with it than have an open bottle get skunked while it sits in our fridge.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

It's rare that my wife and I will drink a full bottle at dinner any more, and I'd rather finish a 1/2 and be done with it than have an open bottle get skunked while it sits in our fridge.

Have you considered getting a "Wine Keeper"? It's an easy-to-use system where you pump nitrogen into the wine bottle, thereby keeping the wine drinkable for two to three weeks, maybe even a month. I don't drink wine, but my husband sometimes likes to have a glass or two with dinner at home. He buys full bottles and, using this system, no wine goes to waste.

Have you considered getting a "Wine Keeper"?  It's an easy-to-use system where you pump nitrogen into the wine bottle, thereby keeping the wine drinkable for two to three weeks, maybe even a month.  I don't drink wine, but my husband sometimes likes to have a glass or two with dinner at home.  He buys full bottles and, using this system, no wine goes to waste.

Do those things really work? I've always been a little suspect of them

Have you considered getting a "Wine Keeper"?  It's an easy-to-use system where you pump nitrogen into the wine bottle, thereby keeping the wine drinkable for two to three weeks, maybe even a month.  I don't drink wine, but my husband sometimes likes to have a glass or two with dinner at home.  He buys full bottles and, using this system, no wine goes to waste.

Do those things really work? I've always been a little suspect of them

Absolutely! My husband has been using it for years, and it works beautifully. He purchased the basic system from The Wine Enthusiast. You can see it here:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/shopping/pro...B8-8635567FB4CA

He has extra Stopper Dispensers, so he can have several bottles preserved at the same time. And he keeps a supply of nitrogen-filled canisters.

Edited by rozrapp (log)

AAAHHHH!!!!! That's not at all what I thought you were talking about. But now I see...of course those things work. Can you refill the canisters on your own or do you have to buy replacements every time? Because that's where it could get expensive.

it looks like the canisters are 40 bucks and do about 40 bottles. that's a dollar a bottle. while that does sound expensive, it's certainly cheaper than throwing wine away.

for my money i just use the ol' vacu-seal. it's cheap, and most wines will stay fine a few days, which in my house is a lifetime for a bottle.

Edited by tommy (log)

It's rare that my wife and I will drink a full bottle at dinner any more, and I'd rather finish a 1/2 and be done with it than have an open bottle get skunked while it sits in our fridge.

Have you considered getting a "Wine Keeper"? It's an easy-to-use system where you pump nitrogen into the wine bottle, thereby keeping the wine drinkable for two to three weeks, maybe even a month. I don't drink wine, but my husband sometimes likes to have a glass or two with dinner at home. He buys full bottles and, using this system, no wine goes to waste.

I hate to disagree re wine keeper or any other Nitrogen system but I must. They only preserve wine for about a week due to the fact that there are trace amounts of oxygen mixed with the nitrogen. As we all know, oxygen will eventually oxidize the wine and change it over time.

One is better off putting the wine into the refir after the nitrogen is injected and blankets the wine or after vacuvining the wine. Cool temps act as another preservative method.

Just my $.02

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

:biggrin: 1/2 bottle of wine for two - If a full bottle is 5 glasses than a 1/2 bottle is 2-1/2 glasses. 2-1/2 divided by 2 = 1-1/4 glass per person. According to my math -- - I don't think I'll be buying any 1/2 bottles soon. (Except dessert wines!)

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

AAAHHHH!!!!!  That's not at all what I thought you were talking about.  But now I see...of course those things work.  Can you refill the canisters on your own or do you have to buy replacements every time?  Because that's where it could get expensive.

Canisters cannot be refilled. They sell a box of 8 canisters for $79.99. That would be $10 per canister. The informatin on the site says that each canister is supposed to last for about 20 bottles. My husband says that's pretty accurate. Math has never been my strong suit, but doesn't that come out to about $.50 per bottle? There is also a box of 12 for $99 -- which brings down the cost some more. Also, my husband rarely finishes a bottle in one week. It's usually more like several weeks. He keeps these saved bottles in a small wine rack in our kitchen (we also have a wine frig for unopened bottles), and the wine does not go bad.