• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More wine with friends

Florida Jim

First - white asparagus soup:

NV Zardetto, Prosecco Brut:

The soup had very subtle flavors so I chose this Prosecco as a light, airy, very slightly sweet accompaniment. It was a good pairing but not a perfect one. In the future, I will try a blanc de blanc Champagne. The wine was imported by Winebow.

The dish was dazzlingly good.

Second - a salad of baby greens, fresh figs, walnuts and Manchego cheese:

2001 von Kesselstatt, Riesling Kabinett Scharzhofberger:

The figs were very fresh and not too sweet so this wine was perfect. The minerality and acidity of the wine and its hint of sweetness worked against the figs and the nuts as well as any wine could. Had I gone with a Spatlese, the extra RS would not have framed the fruit as well. A truly outstanding pairing. The wine was imported by Sante Wine Distributors.

Third - grilled tuna with two EVOO based sauces; caper/garlic and fresh tomato/basil/garlic; served with new potato salad and sautéed corn with zucchini:

Two wines were served with this dish:

2001 Gelin, Dom. des Nugues Beaujolais-Villages:

This was open, pure, fruity and straight-forward. The dish worked well with it and it was good on its own. Imported by Bobby Kacher.

2000 Dom. Alain Paret, Rochecourbe, St. Joseph:

Very forward, showing fully ready and virtually nothing to distinguish it or show its variety. Good wine for sipping with those who like “red” wine. Imported by Bobby Kacher.

After dinner:

1996 Kistler, Pinot Noir Hirsch Vnyd.:

Typical Kistler with candied wood, big extraction and lots of power; even so, the Hirsch Vnyd. terroir makes a difference as it drives the fruit toward the raspberry and red fruit spectrum with black fruit accents. Not a wine I want more than one glass of, but I definitely want that one glass.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com