• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Barge - Seafood in Perth Amboy

Randi

I've been to The Barge once, and was not particularly impressed, as I recall. I am wondering if anyone else has been there and has an opinion about this place. Maybe I was there on an off night?

Also, if you have any other fresh seafood recommendations in the central NJ area (within 15 miles of the Edison area) I'd love to hear them.

We're going out this weekend for seafood and we'd prefer not to head to the shore on a weekend in the summer - I know that limits us. But is it impossible close to home?

Also, I asked before but didn't get a response - has anyone been to the Chowder Pot in Rahway since it's been under new ownership? It was horrible before...I am hoping maybe it's better now?

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

A few of my favorites, all within 15 miles of the Edison area:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yecottageinn/

http://www.loucasrestaurant.com/about.htm

http://www.lacucina-linden.com/

http://www.casagiuseppe.com/

Also Dick's Dock on Main Street in Metuchen...haven't been there in quite a while but it used to have great seafood. It's also a BYO, as are LaCucina and LouCas.

I've been to The Barge once, and was not particularly impressed, as I recall.  I am wondering if anyone else has been there and has an opinion about this place. Maybe I was there on an off night?

The barge sucks. I went there once and got a dried-out lobster. My date got stuffed flounder which was completely unexciting. Here's a story about the barge:

When I presented my Entertainment coupon they wouldn't take it, because I ate a lobster. I got into a to-do with the manager and it ended off with them refusing to take off the meal of lower price. The Barge's ad in the Entertainment book does indeed show lobsters on the menu. I went out to my car and brought the book in, showed the manager, and she basically said F*@k You!

After that, being the stubborn person I am, I ended waiting at the table (as there were none available). I waited around for somebody to finish their meal, then, in an act of subterfuge, I gave the coupon to a nice old couple sitting next to us. Management, being the nice Fu*k's they are, ended up not punching the card (I guess because she felt bad for them). I had to do it, just for the point. I made sure Management was aware of my actions after the old couple had left.

Being the card wasn't punched at that time, I asked (obnoxiously) that management punch the card. They did. So I left with a punched card and made an old couple happy. I will never eat at the barge again. Honestly though, I wasn't impressed with their food. I hate the barge and hope they go out of business. I hate that effin' place.

My favorite seafood place is the Navesink Fishery, on Rte 36 in Navesink (which is part of Middletown Township). I go there at least three times per month. Love it!

:D

A few of my favorites, all within 15 miles of the Edison area

Cornus. thanks for the suggestions! I have been to Loucas, it wasn't bad. The other places I've not even heard of and I have bookmarked the sites for future reference.

Ye Cottage Inn sounds exactly like what I am looking for. And I live very close to Metuchen so I will be sure to check out Dick's Dock. Is Dick's Dock really crowded on weekends, do you know?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Steakas. oh my! Are you sure you don't like the Barge? I detected indecision :laugh:

Well, I went there last night...after reading their online menu I decided to give them another try. I saw they had a special of twin lobsters and they also had the kind of steamers I love...

I figured, how can they screw that up? Right?

We got there early, to avoid the Saturday night crowd. The place was about 1/2 full at 4:45. And filled up soon thereafter. The noise level was high.

For once, I didn't need to peruse a menu for ages, agonizing over my need to narrow it down to one thing. I was all set. I got the twin lobsters, steamed (22.95) and the steamers (9.95). My dining companion ordered the bluefish "earlybird special" which came with salad and soup (he chose cream of red snapper) for $9.95

They brought his snapper soup out right away. I tasted it - it was delicious, actually.

He ordered onion soup to eat while I ate my clams. He said the soup was ok. The clams were medium sized, and so-so. I love them small and sweet. At least they weren't sandy.

The salads were almost silly. A plate of torn iceberg lettuce a bit of shredded carrot with a single slice of cucumber on top. Oh, they added wee bits of purple cabbage which could have been mistaken for black pepper...they were so small and so few. I got the bleu cheese dressing, which they served on the side (I am glad of that). The dressing wasn't bad - big chunks of cheese. But couldn't they have put a cherry tomato or olive or two on that sad little salad?

The lobsters looked great - 2 decently meaty critters - split and cleaned, with the claws already removed. The first one was so-so. Not bad tasting but kinda mushy. The second one had a funny taste - wasn't sure if it was iodine-y or what. Didn't taste spoiled - just metallic or something. I didn't eat all of it.

The fries were big crispy (but dry) steak fries. I never eat sides when I am eating lobsters - unless there is something refreshing like a really good cole slaw.

Dinner was about $50 before tip.

Everyone around us seemed to be enjoying their dinners. Maybe they have lower seafood standards than some? I saw few lobsters being served (when I used to go to the Clam Hut in Highlands for my always-perfect twin lobsters, there were always plenty of people ordering lobster). Most people seemed to get some kind of stuffed fish. Maybe they excel at that?

So, I am still not in love with The Barge. I really need to find a nearby place for my "simple" seafood needs. Or do I really just need to buy the lobsters myself and cook them at home? sigh...I hate killing them :sad:

Randi

Steakas. oh my! Are you sure you don't like the Barge? I detected indecision :laugh:

One never has a second chance to make a first impression. I'll never go back.

Besides, I won't cheat on my place ... Navesink Fishery. Give them a try.

:D