• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish'n'Chips in Kearny?

jb_973

Ok, now that my Sushi craving has been satisfied, I have another question for all you eGulleters! (is that the appropriate term?)

I'm originally from the UK, and was fortunate enough to live about 10 minutes walk from a great British-style Fish'n'Chip shop in my previous neighborhood - The Chip Shop on 5th Ave in Park Slope (worth a visit in you're in Brooklyn). Now I'm in West Orange, I've heard that there are a few authentic Fish'n'Chip places in Kearny, which is not too far a drive down I-280 from our house. Does anyone have any recommendations of particular places to visit?

Thanks again,

Jason

The 2 popular ones are Argyle and Thistle (both on Kearny Ave. I think). I can't vouch for them, since I haven't been to either, but they are the most well known. There are still a few Irish/Scottish stores in Kearny (like Stewarts). Do a search in the NJ forum for Kearny...I know there is a thread on fish and chips in here somewhere.

Edit: Here's the thread

Edited by pete ganz (log)

eff kearny. :laugh: i've lived in the UK, and i've been to the places in kearny, and well...i think you will be disappointed.

what you need to do is get over to Marco and Pepe in Jersey City and have some lobster fish and chips. not the same thing, but so good you won't mind. :smile:

what you need to do is get over to Marco and Pepe in Jersey City and have some lobster fish and chips.  not the same thing, but so good you won't mind.  :smile:

Thanks for the heads-up. At $28 a plate, the Lobster Fish'n'Chips must be something special!

I must admit, I'm really looking for somewhere informal - somewhere we can either eat in, or I can pick up and take home.

I have been to both : Argyle and Thistle--although I get them confused. One has a gift shop connected to the dining room. I've also lived in England for a year, so in my humble opinion... neither of these places are even close to what I ate in the little village of Melton Mobray!

Argyle and Thistle (both) offer tender fish in a very heavy greasy batter with soggy chips. Guiness is on tap.

Both restaurants are not suffering for business, and during the season of Lent, on a Friday, the line is out the door for both pick-up and eat-in service.

We go back with my husband's former secretary, when she is homesick for Scotland. Not great, not the worst, and it's an alternative to cooking.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

We go back with my husband's former secretary, when she is homesick for Scotland. Not great, not the worst, and it's an alternative to cooking.

It sounds like an average Fish'n'Chips experience. If anyone out there has been to either of these places and to somewhere like A Salt And Battery in NYC, how would you say they compare?

I'll probably do a taste test sometime at either the Argyle or the Thistle in the near future, and will be sure to post my review here.

Jason

Jason, Have you tried the fish and chips at Gaffers Pub? They serve a good basket of nicely battered fish and chips every Wednesday night. They've got malt vinegar on hand per request.

If you've been there, (or go) I'd be curious to know how you rate them. I'm always pleasantly surprised by what comes out of that kitchen.

I find the service at the bar very friendly and more attentive then in the dining room.

hmm, the type of fish, some type of firm white fish, COD,, maybe hallibut.

The beer battered fillets were smooth, crunchy, and golden, not the type from a flaky tempura-style breadcrumb.

The basket had three nice sized fillets covering the always hot, crispy Gaffer's fries. As far as fried food goes, the meal wasn't too greasy (I'm not a fan of soggy-greasy).

The burgers at Gaffers are great, but have you had a burger at Pals!?!? They're yummie (if you can deal with the spotty service).

Never had burgers at Pals but heard they were great. Do you think the fish at Gaffers is made fresh there or is it a high quality frozen product?

Also, I think there is a West Orange "family" or something like that card where you can get a discount at some WO establishments. I think Gaffers is listed.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks for the heads-up on Gaffers - I'd been meaning to go down there to try out their burgers, but didn't know about the Fish night. Will give it a try and report back here.

As for Pal's Cabin - we went there just after we moved to our house a few weeks ago. Tried out their 'famous' Mushroom soup, which definitely ranked up amongst my best, and had a burger as well. The Burger was pretty good - moist, in a good bun. The burger compared well to my favorite from Bonnie's Grill in Brooklyn.

Rosie, I believe you may be referring to the Downtown West Orange Alliance WOVIP Card. This provides discounted dining and shopping for people who work or live in West Orange.

Those West Orange VIP cards were sent out in the mail. At Gaffers they offer 10% off your food bill (I think only during lunch, just changed recently).

While we're on the subject, Gaffers has a 'burger club' some stamp program that gives you a free one after so many.

As for the frozen vs. fresh, I would be shocked if they were previously prepared and frozen, also they are advertised as home-made on a sign near the restrooms. If they were frozen, they would likely offer them on the menu everyday, and not just Wednesdays.

Interested to hear your report Jason.

Just got to say hello to Keith, owner of Gaffers (used to run Due Amici next door?). He confirmed the fish and chips are legit, and made fresh on premises. I like them, although I'm not a Brit.

Did you miss your Wednesday window this week Jason?

Just got to say hello to Keith, owner of Gaffers (used to run Due Amici next door?). He confirmed the fish and chips are legit, and made fresh on premises. I like them, although I'm not a Brit.

Did you miss your Wednesday window this week Jason?

Thanks for the update.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE