• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid Pectin in Lower Manhattan

Anybody know?

Seth, give Jefferson Market a call. It's a little odd for a gourmet market to stock this stuff, but I am pretty sure that I've seen some canning supplies (in season) in there in the past.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Seth, give Jefferson Market a call. It's a little odd for a gourmet market to stock this stuff, but I am pretty sure that I've seen some canning supplies (in season) in there in the past.

Thanks. Just called 'em. They have powder (which I already have), not liquid. I think I'm going to have to adapt my jam recipe for powder, which I think requires adding the pectin at the beginning with the sugar.

I was also thinking even further downtown, like below canal.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

It's a bit of a long shot, especially for Manhattan, but you might try a hardware store or a pharmacy. Pectin has become very popular with the power-bar/protein-shake set, too. Usually it's in powder form, but try a health-food/nutrition store like GNC. You never know.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Jubilee might have some or you can take mine; I won't need it for the cherry conserve I plan to make.

Is that a sour cherry conserve, Suzanne? I'll trade you a half-pint of sour cherry jam for a half-pint of sour cherry conserve!

Thanks for the offer. I'm already running out of time for today. I want to make jam first thing in the morning before we leave town for the weekend-- but I'd still like to find the liquid for future jams/jellies.

Ah. The stuff I have, I bought in Brattleboro, VT. But I think in the past I bought Certo at The Food Emporium.

Ediot: oops. Never mind. I must have used it. :sad: But sure, I'll trade!

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Jubilee came through, as it so often does.

Damn! That liquid pectin ain't cheap! I might try extracting some from some apples next time.

Suzanne, you've got yourself a deal. I can't promise you much, however, as this will be my second preserving experience ever. My first, just a few days ago, was apricot jam, but it went very well.