• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto (Philadelphia)

robert brown

Have members eaten at Le Bec Fin since Daniel Stern was recently hired by Perrier? Also, what are members' thoughts on the downstairs "bar" (unclear if that's the customary reference to this area or if the area still exists, since I ate there quite a while ago), if a regular reservation were for some reason not secured? :wink: Does the bar take reservations?

http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?ac...b1afb372269f600

(on LBF's change in chef)

Morimoto was very friendly and accommodating to us at the bar. I didn’t see any request for pics or autographs denied for anyone in the restaurant. Morimoto is most definitely the Real Deal – it’s here to stay !

GordonCooks, a nice report. I'm glad to hear this.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

GordonCooks:  Do LBF and Morimoto accept reservations more than 30 days in advance?  Do you happen to know the speciifc details of their reservation policies?

LBF does - I usually plan a trip 30-45 days away as to configure my work schedule to make the time. I'm not sure as far as Morimoto - I would imagine so. Morimoto and LBF as with most places require a confirmation on the thurs prior to your weekend reservation. They don't ask for your credit card # like Charlie Trotter's though

On transportation options, the train takes of course less than 2 hours and costs less than $100. Alternatively, Greyhound/Peter Pan buses appear to have a 2-2.5 hour bus service that costs less than $50 under certain circumstances. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I can certainly validate that MORIMOTO was an awesome experience! I enjoyed it so well, I wrote up a four-installment travelogue of our trip to Philly. Complete with lots of pictures.

Check out part 1 here. All the sections are linked.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

vogelap,

I wish you had described your experience at Morimoto more in depth - descriptions of the dishes, preparation, relationship to other dining experiences, wait staff service and knowledge, wine pairings if any. In other words, could you recreate the experience in such a way that I can vicariously dine with you.

Vogelap, I'm with Lizziee. Since you write so nicely, why not tell more about the food?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

ahh you had the experience I wish I had, I had a reservation for 9:30 on Sunday of memorial day weekend. Waited an hour for my table, was nearly shuffled to the communal table (there were 4 of us wwe would have had to sit abreast,..not if I'm ready to throw down $150!)

When finally seated we were informed that they stop serving the omakase at 9pm (something the rather hasty and rude reservationist neglected to mention weeks before) so we had to order from the regular menu. After a reprimand the manager sent out glasses of house sparkling wine as a concesssion, which I did not think was adequate. I would have sent an extra course.

When Our food arrived it was dissapointing, not in quality but it was not what the server had described. The Pork Belly cooked for 24hrs over rice congee was fantastic I asked the server for dirrection on my entree and he suggested the yellowtail describing it as seared fish on rice which sounded very pristine and perfect for after the rich pork belly.

It was in fact very cooked fish, raw egg, vegetables, the same thick sweet brown sauce the pork belly was in over rice, also for $27 I would appreciate more than 4 thin slices of yellowtail.

For dessert upon finding out it was one of our birthdays we were sent a complimentary dish of melted sorbet with a broken cookie. The bill came to about $100 per person.

I was extremely dissapointed as was looking forward to a culinary expedition. I'm in the business, I know better than to take it personally but i think it is an absolute shonda when a restaurant treats customers like that. I have a strong feeling also that it was because we were 4 women I have noticed that often times women dining without men are not always treated as well as couples or men dining alone.

shame though would like to go back and try the omakase, maybe will have to wait till the organized egullet lunch (Does anyone else think the table lights look like sex toys?)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

shame though would like to go back and try the omakase, maybe will have to wait till the organized egullet lunch (Does anyone else think the table lights look like sex toys?)

ok, now we must have an e-gullet get together here..soon!! :laugh:

Is it possible to make reservations specifically for the sushi bar at Morimoto?

Yes, just request the sushi bar (chef's table) and tell them you don't the side the fish display case is on - you want the main side.

I'm going again next month - I can't wait

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, just request the sushi bar (chef's table) and tell them you don't the side the fish display case is on - you want the main side.

I just called to make resrevations for the 15th, and was told they can make a note that it is my preference to sit at the sushi bar, but cannot guarantee it. Any suggestions? Will there be a maitre'd at the door that I can palm? It's my birthday, I want to sit at the sushi bar only.

I just called to make resrevations for the 15th, and was told they can make a note that it is my preference to sit at the sushi bar, but cannot guarantee it. Any suggestions? Will there be a maitre'd at the door that I can palm? It's my birthday, I want to sit at the sushi bar only.

The front is handled by two Asian girls - I happen to be half-Asian and awfully cute - what can I say ?

Show up before your reservation time - give your name - go up to the bar and spy the sushi bar until a primo spot opens - shoot down the stairs and tell them you're ready.

The front is handled by two Asian girls - I happen to be half-Asian and awfully cute - what can I say ?

Show up before your reservation time - give your name - go up to the bar and spy the sushi bar until a primo spot opens - shoot down the stairs and tell them you're ready.

So much effort..do you think the cute Asian girls will be receptive to a 20 dollar bill?

So much effort..do you think the cute Asian girls will be receptive to a 20 dollar bill?

That's a little risky. Tipping as it exists in the US does not translate in Japan.

When a tip is given to a chef/maitre'd - it's always in a card of some sort and given as an extra special something. Given to the wrong person, it may construed as you think the person is of immoral character. Of course, this is the US and is probably not the case - but I would go and just hope you get lucky. The girls are probably good ole homegrown gals - you never know.

Went to Morimoto last night to celebrate my b-day. What a perfect dining experience. And I don't use the workd perfect lightly! On the ride home, bob and I were trying to figure out how it could have possibly been better..only if we had noticed the valet sign outside the restaurant and didn't have to park next door! ( Suburbanites are so spoiled when it comes to parking!) The restaurnt has a very distinctive exterior, we were focussed on that!

Upon entering this place, you immediatly "get" the feeling they are trying to convey. Flooring, ceiling, walls and tables work together to envelop you in the "wave". Very effective.

We requested sushi bar, and were brought directly there. While the bar is pretty and I like the "fish cases" being flush to the work area ( as opposed to the other side, which has been noted has a vertical fish window which impedes the view) this is definitely a "working" sushi bar. The minimilism apparant throughout the restaurant goes out hte window here... every surface other than the cutting boards are filled with bowls, mandolins, sauces, spices..its quite cluttered. Though the economy of movement that each sushi chef displayed must mean that there was indeed a method to their madness!

We started with cocktails, Asahi beer and the Sakemartini, with the Japanese cucumber. I was suprised at how dominant the cucumber flavor was, with the vodka and sake combo.

We had a conversation with a helpful and enthusiastic waiter, who suggested a sake for us from the list. We explained that we usually have warmed sake, and needed some guidance on selecting a smooth chilled wine. He gave us descriptions and differences between the choices, and steered us towards a wonderful carafe. The sake was served in bamboo carafes and cups, very fun and distinctive from the usual ceramic.

We ordered the Omakazee, the top one. After questions about our likes and dislikes, ( no eel, or at least none with that awful sticky sweet sauce on it! ) the show began. The sucshi chef who was to make our meal spoke with the waitress, got our attention, nodded, smiled and began.

Our first course was a toro tartare, with a very generous dollop of oesetra. The tartare had fried shallots in it, for a great texture and crunch. The waitress described the dish, and suggested that we have a bit of caviar, toro and sauce with each bite. This was not done in a condescending way, but rather in a very open, friendly manner. My husband, who hates to be told how to eat by a waiter, was not offended at all. And to clarify, we are 2x a week sushi eaters, so we're not novices.

At my first perfectly balanced bite, I knew we were in for quite a meal. You know, the kind of taste wehre you just start smiling as soon as you swallow? This dish was served with a small red furry raspberry... and the waiter was summoned to identify this "japanese mountain peach". It had a pit, and had a sweet/sour taste.

Next, Oysters 4 ways..the ceviche was best, husband like the red pepper vinegar. Creamy, tiny oysters..the kind you get in a lot of sucsi places, my mind is blanking ont he name. Starts with a K.

Abalone with tomatoes, 5 spice dust on the plate, excellent. The dust, though sparse, packed a wollop.

Mackeral sushi with bonito flakes ( they have a very cool wooden flaking box, looks like a hardware tool form Jr. High woodworking class..a plane, I think? and pressed mullet roe. The roe was very salty and flavorful, and needed to be eaten with other ingredients..it was a little gummy and hard to do witht he chopsticks, so I resorted to the fork for this one!

Wasabi sorbet with beignet.

grilled lobster with citrus creme fraiche. Judicious and perfect use of the spice powder. The creme fraich was way to sweet, it did nto cut the spice of the lobster, but over powered it.

Kobe beef, almost carpaccio it was so rare, with foie gras, fantastic soy based sauce that I wish I could have sucked up off theplate. Also served with Jap Sweet potatoe and scallions.

sushi: mackeral, salmon,toro, sardine and egg.

dessert: trio of yam cake, japanese tiramisu, and rice pudding cake w/ green tea ICream. Also, a japanese mountain peach sorbet. Mine had a candle in it! The rice pudding cake was excellent, I ate my husbands but hey, its my birthday!

Morimoto was there, behind the bar, changing the blade on t he mandolin and laughing with the chefs, testing hte sharpness of the one chef's blade, speaking seriously to him and sharpening the knife himself. He took pictures, walked throught the dining area a number of times, smiling and all round looking very happy to be there.

The service was perfect, the food was perfect, the night was perfect. Really, every once in a while you just have the ultimate dining experience,a nd this was it.

2 Omakasee, 2 caraffes of Sake, 3 sakemartini, 2 Asahi, $370 before tip.

However, we noticed that the sushi and sashimi prices were just a buck or two more than the prices at our local place in Princeton, so its possible to get out of there for much less..but this experience is worth it!

Next, Oysters 4 ways..the ceviche was best, husband like the red pepper vinegar. Creamy, tiny oysters..the kind you get in a lot of sucsi places, my mind is blanking ont he name. Starts with a K.

Kim, your birthday meal sounded heavenly! Was the K oyster Kumamoto? They are one of my favorites to eat on the half shell, and are grown in the NW.

Was the K oyster Kumamoto?  They are one of my favorites to eat on the half shell, and are grown in the NW.

Yes, yes, it was onthe tip of my...keyboard! They are great, we often choose then wehn at an oyster bar and faced with a selection.

Kim, sounds like a wonderful meal. Thanks for telling us all about it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

jordyn, a friend of his and I dined at Morimoto on the $120 omakase. Sitting at the "long" end of the sushi bar, I had a fairly good meal that did not match the only meal I had taken in so far at Jewel Bako in NY. Nonetheless, it was, of course, worthwhile to sample the cuisine at Morimoto for the first time. :laugh:

(1) Toro Tartare -- A good amount of toro tartare in a timbale-like column, with oscetra caviar on top, was presented in a cup. The thin saucing for this was soy and dashi. On the "saucer" beneath the cup were fresh wasabe (with which the tuna was intended to be eaten, of course) and a rasberry-like Japanese fruit called yama*** (this is sometimes available at Nobu). While the saucing was appropriate, I did not find this dish particularly impressive. The fattiness of toro was not well exhibited in the dish, which was not as good as the "O'Toro with creamy avocado sauce, and oscetra" I had sampled at Jewel Bako (recognizing that otoro is naturally more luscious than toro).

(2) Smoked Kampachi -- This was appealing, with the smoked yellowtail variety being cut into relatively thin slices and garnished nicely with baby cilantro, a vinegar-based sauce with very small bits of red pepper and "pickled"-type onions. The dining room team member advised us that three vinegars had been utilized -- champagne, rice wine and white wine; the result was a nice sauce with just enough oil components and vinegar tastes. We were told that curry had also been used, but it was not detectable to me. I noticed a very limited hint of chili in the aftertaste. The reason this dish worked was the appropriate level of smoking of the kampachi -- the smokiness was not overwhelming, but it was noticeable. This was my preferred dish of the meal.

(3) Small cup of dobanmushi-like clear soup, with mitsuba leaf, yuzu and noodles made from fish cake. The soup was on the bland side, and the slice of lime provided was necessary as an added "kick" for the soup. Even with the lime, the soup was unduly "neutral". If the dining room team member had not advised me that fish cake had been used in the noodles, I would not have noticed.

(4) Japanese snapper slices with olive and sesame oil blend. This was another nice dish, with four slices of snapper being doused with oil at a very high temperature. jordyn and I agreed that this preparation brought to mind Nobu's "new-style" sashimi, but that the oil temperature utilized at Morimoto was much higher than that at which the Nobu sashimi would be served. The saucing contained citrus, soy and ponzu, chives, ginger and shallots. Although that list sounded extensive, the saucing ingredients were nicely integrated. Miyoga, apparently a cousin of the onion and garlic, was also included. The most appealing part of the dish was the inclusion of a small piece of fern (raw) on top of the described components. The fern tasted refreshing, yet complex.

(5) Salad of striped jackfish, with yuzu vinaigrette, baby greens, chive oil and basil puree. This was good too, with a long shaved section of dried and aged bonito (interesting, slightly chewey texture, and shaved using the box-like contraptions mentioned by GordonCooks) and another long section of dried salmon (described using a name sounding like mollogro???). It was appropriate that the basil was subdued in this dish, and I liked the use of vinegar in the saucing.

(6) Wasabi and yuzu sorbet with wasabi beignet. The sorbet was appropriately subtle, but the long donut-like beignet had no wasabi tastes.

(7) Lobster "Epice" (Eight spice lobster). This pan-roasted half of a lobster was seasoned unduly aggressively for my tastes, although jordyn appeared not to share my assessment. The flesh of the lobster could have been slightly more "crisp" when bitten into, although I had to admit I have a strong preference for Brittany lobsters to begin with. The herbs used liberally on the lobster, to almost form a slight layer of herbs on the exposed flesh of the 1/2 lobster portion, were chilli, cumin, coriander, cayenne, ginger, garlic, pepper and paprika, according to our dining room team member. I found the slightly sweetened creme fraiche (with bits of chives) served on the side helpful to the dish, but jordyn considered that component of the dish too sweet. With the lobster, there was served brocoli, a single stalk of asparagus and a crunchy, long baby carrot.

(8) Kobe Beef and Foie Gras. This dish was fairly good, but the Kobe beef (whether from the US or not unclear) was better exhibited in a thicker specimen within Sugiyama's kaiseki in NY. That being said, a slice of Kobe beef perhaps 3 times the thickness of the super-thin beef slices one finds in shabu shabu dishes arrived, folded over itself. The relative thinness of the beef was not a helpful aspect. However, it was nicely served with a Japanese marinade containing sweet soy, ginger and mirin. The glass of pinot noir jordyn and I shared was appropriate for this dish. The foie gras was a small sauteed piece, and it was appropriate (although not memorable).

(9) Sushi course. Only five pieces were offered -- O'Toro (not as fatty as most otoro I have sampled), kampachi (acceptable only), fluke (mediocre), Japanese sardine (good) and unagi (mediocre). This was a very weak sushi course (leaving aside quantity and speaking only to quality) for a restaurant that strives to be at this level. It is interesting that the variety of fresh fish, etc. I noticed at Morimoto's sushi bar did not appear to compare to that I have seen at, say, Jewel Bako or Sushi Yasuda. The Japanese sardine sushi was nice, however. Freshly grated sushi, while available, was not ordered. In this instance, freshly grated sushi would not have helped the sushi presentation.

(10) Dessert included (a) the Morimoto Japanese yam cake (average), (b) a chocolate fig cake with hazelnut (average), © wasabi tiramisu with a white chocolate sauce (fairly good; interesting integration of light wasabi flavors and mascarpone), and (d) chocolate ice cream (mediocre). There was a cranberry/raisin compote that did not seem to match any of the offered dessert items.

The drinks taken in were:

-- Mc squared aperatif ($9.50; champagne, midori and lime juice garnished with a lime wedge; this was aggressive flavored, but nice; its neon green-yellow color matched the countertop of the sushi bar area and the color utilized in the entryway to the Morimoto restaurant)

-- Shared bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, Kim Crawford 2002 (New Zealand) ($46; my first sampling of this wine and a good choice in hindsight for the early dishes)

-- Shared glass of Pinot Noir, Antonin Rodel ($10; for the Kobe beef)

-- Glass of junmai morimoto ($8/glass; $20/carafe) -- the most "raw", according to our knowledgeable dining room team member, of the three sakes specifically allocated to Morimoto (the others being junmai daiginjo morimoto and junmai ginjo morimoto)

Decor

I liked the decor at Morimoto -- modern, with an interesting reliance on color juxtapositions and on the effects of colored lighting. The space is relatively narrow, but good use was made of it. When one enters, the area is somewhat neon green colored. One detects various instances of the Morimoto logo, including on the door handles. It is a roundish figure-eight-on-its-side-like, bean-like shape. One sees beautifully blush-colored, sculpted walls (done nicely), matching undulating ceiling patterns. No rough edges; modern, interesting sculpted areas along the length of the restaurant. There are a number of two-person tables along the right and left sides, with two sets of banquettes in the middle. The area between the tables is lit, and the colors change periodically from a deep pink to purple to a moderate green to a type of blue. These efects were not bad, despite my general preference for simplicity of decor in restaurants.

Miscellaneous Information

As members know, Philly is a short (2 hour) drive from NYC. On the way there, our group stopped at an old-styled drive-in featuring rootbeer. It was a cheerful, nostalgic place, where I witnessed (for the first time) the little food trays that are clipped onto one's car window. Our party stayed in the car, with waitresses coming by to take orders, etc. We shared curly fries, with a good quantity of Velveta-like melted cheese. I drank a root beer float with a generous amount of ice cream. A good stop-over on the way to Philly.

There is a 24-hour garage within 1/2 block of Morimoto's restaurant.

Morimoto's begins dinner service relatively early (5pm). At such hour, there were more people than I expected. Prior to dinner, our party visited the Rodin Museum in Philly. It is smaller than that in Paris, but nonetheless worthwhile. For example, there is one of the original Burghers of Calais sculptures (collective), along with a pair of sculptures called Hand of God and Hand of Devil. Like the museum in Paris, the Philly facility has the Gates of Hell sculpture. There are several small pate-de-verre pieces, a medium that I is less emphasized at the Paris facility.

After dinner at Morimoto's, our party went to see Cirque de Soleil's Varekai production. For me, it was technically markedly weaker than Allegria, Quidam, O, Mystere and possibly one other CdS production I have seen. However, it was still clearly worthwhile. During the break, I sipped hazelnut and vanilla coffee and had several bites of Haagen-Daaz Dulce de Con Leche (?), caramel-flavored ice cream.

"While the saucing was appropriate, I did not find this dish particularly impressive. The fattiness of toro was not well exhibited in the dish"

Cabrales, I'd love to see you as one of the judges on Iron Chef.

Would you be the cute and squeaky teenybopper Japanese actress or the crabby old fortune-teller?

:raz:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host