• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto (Philadelphia)

robert brown

For what it's worth and, possibly, as an indication of potentially mixed priorities on the restaurant's part, a friend of mine was at Morimoto last night. He had been there only once before, but at that time he hosted 12 people and is generally an aggressively generous diner/tipper. I heard his reservations being made and, once Morimoto pulled his name up on their computer, they were most accomodating. When he arrived, Morimoto-san came to his table to greet him and declared that he was going to make him and his guest an all-hamachi tasting menu. While I don't have the details, he said it was incredible. (He has the experience and palate to judge.)

So, given certain kinds of motivation, it seems that Morimoto may have been capable of rising to the occasion for any given diner last night, but chose otherwise.

Knowledge is good.

Kim, reading your post and by the way hope the ankle is better, I was shocked. I don't think i ever posted on my omakase experience but 4 of us dined at the sushi bar following a Eagles-Cowboys game in December. It was great. I have to look for my notes and comment on my dinner. It looks on the by, that you had a shit experience, now after 2 great meals and a lousy one would you go back? At least you know how to reserve a spot at the sushi bar. :wink:

Thanks all for the ankle best wishes..I skipped the xray, as it did start to feel a lot batter when I iced it and gave it some rest in the later part of the day...its just a sprain but a nuisance nonetheless.

Gus, I guess a letter would be the most constructive approach, but I'm not emotionally vested enough in the restaurant to spend the time writing a letter, editing it, and following up. OP...I might have noticed that group, were they in the private room upstairs? and then moved to a table near the sushi bar to dine? Regarding whatever kind of tracking they do upon reserving..I've been there three times in 18months, all reserved in my name, having omakazee for two, then in a party of 4, then another party of two last night..I don't usually pay the bill, but since we are drinkers and tippers, and usually drop some serious $$$, I can't imagine the tracking system would have anything BAD about us..It's not like I fell down and sued them or anything! :hmmm::wink::shock:

lou, I don't think I'd go back. It wasn't one thing, it was a number of things. I can usually overlook service, but to not be "wowed" except once in 8 courses...doesn't cut it. I guess I'd return if companions were dying to see it..it is a cool design and Morimoto is a hottie, but I'd order sashimi and those sake martinis.

Stephen, I hope you have an opportunity to go sometime if you enjoy sushi..you can sit and have a more simple sushi or sashimi dinner, which makes it affordable for every budget.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I suggest trying the menu items as well as the omikase. had the 80 and 100 omikase and then ordered the menu the third time there. Still very good and comes out quite a bit cheaper. I ordered a sampler appetizer which is 3 or 5 little cups of whatever he wants to make...so with that and an entree I still got a lot of variety and it was all awesome tasting and definitely helps the wallet even with a couple sake-tini's

Kim:

PM me next time you're headed this way and I'll join you for far better sushi in New Jersey, that's BYOB and no attitude.

I just met a charming gentleman this afternoon who promised to tell me about his favorite sushi restaurant in NJ and it isn't any of the usual suspects like Fuji (my fave) or Sagami. He said he's been going there for a year and a half and hasn't told a soul about it yet for fear of creating a stampede. We've made arrangements to have dinner sometime soon and the secret sushi location will be revealed. He's bringing the German rieslings and I'm bringing the sparkling riesling sekt and a bottle of Austrian Pinot Blanc. Should be interesting and I'll report back.

Sorry to hear about your ankle but I'm glad it seems to be on the mend. The attitude of the unconcerned staff at Morimoto has me truly shaking my head. If someone fell down and injured themselves in my restaurant I'd be falling all over myself to make certain they'd have anything they wanted before they even asked for it for the rest of the evening.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kim:

PM me next time you're headed this way and I'll join you for far better sushi in New Jersey, that's BYOB and no attitude.

I just met a charming gentleman this afternoon who promised to tell me about his favorite sushi restaurant in NJ and it isn't any of the usual suspects like Fuji (my fave) or Sagami. He said he's been going there for a year and a half and hasn't told a soul about it yet for fear of creating a stampede. We've made arrangements to have dinner sometime soon and the secret sushi location will be revealed. He's bringing the German rieslings and I'm bringing the sparkling riesling sekt and a bottle of Austrian Pinot Blanc. Should be interesting and I'll report back.

Sorry to hear about your ankle but I'm glad it seems to be on the mend. The attitude of the unconcerned staff at Morimoto has me truly shaking my head. If someone fell down and injured themselves in my restaurant I'd be falling all over myself to make certain they'd have anything they wanted before they even asked for it for the rest of the evening.

Ah charming gentleman...sounds intriguing. I am going to go on record and guess that its Ajehi in Princeton..I think its starting to hit some serious sushi radars..

And to be scrupulously honest in my retelling of the evening, the manager and hostess both immediately came to my aid when I fell, supporting me getting up, asking if I wanted ice, a table rather than the bar, etc...I was embarrassed, even though it was unavoidable. So I minimized my discomfort, even to my husband, who was looking forward to the evening as much as I. I'm not a major martyr..if it was above a 5 on the pain scale, I would have gotten out of there...but the real pain was actually the next morning, about 12 hours later. I was surprised that no one took down any info or completed an incident report, which I recall from my restaurant days..even minimizing the pain, I was hobbling out the door.

The Cherry Hill place is Fuji, right?

At first it sounded like your experience was bunk due to bad service, crappy sushi plates, and sketchy seating policies (not to mention your fall; I hope you're on the mend...). After re-reading your post it appears that most of the disappointment for you may have been the food itself?! I'm sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed my experiences there, except that the first time was stellar, the 2nd not so stellar. The 2nd visit's omakase was excellent, not as good as the first, but the servers were total robots. While telling you what they were serving you, they read through the ingredients like reading a teleprompter at an awards show they never wanted to be at. But again, the food was great. Wasn't there a thread somewhere recently on the Gullet about Steven Starr stating he couldn't find any good help in Philly and needing to dip into the NYC employee pool?

Overall I don't think I would go back unless I hit the lottery...too many other great places in Philly (or Cinnaminson) to try for far less $$$.

Spoon!

Kim, you've give me a little doubt now as I'm planiing to hit Philly to see my Mets at the new stadium. I might look to go elsewhere even though I was extremely pleased with the 9 course omakase in Dec.

Ah charming gentleman...sounds intriguing. I am going to go on record and guess that its Ajehi in Princeton..I think its starting to hit some serious sushi radars..

Kim:

Actually the charming gentleman was telling me about the 3000 bottle cellar he shares with his (I'm certain) lovely wife in their 140 year old home. They have a "his", "hers" and "ours" section and are quite the BYOB hounds, since they can be. I'm not sure if it's Mikado in Cherry Hill or not of which he spoke, but it's definitely in the Philly area, either Cherry Hill or Haddonfield. Again, the rest is a mystery until I follow up and make plans to join him there so I can have the "Secret Sushi Stash" revealed to me.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

At first it sounded like your experience was bunk due to bad service, crappy sushi plates, and sketchy seating policies (not to mention your fall; I hope you're on the mend...). After re-reading your post it appears that most of the disappointment for you may have been the food itself?!

Absolutely...I am all about the food. I certainly understand the importance of service, atmosphere, etc..but will and have overlooked defecits in these areas before. But I'm serious about my food! In fact, before the omakazee began, my husband and I took a deep breath, shook off the fall, the service, the chipped glass..I think I actually said outloud"Ok, the first chapter sucked but the story will now unfold" or some similiarly poor literary analogy.

I am a critical diner, and I know that. I don't expect to be wowed by every dish on a tasting or every aspect of the meal..perhaps its happened twice in my life that I was wowed beginning to end.

( And that's not to say that I have not enjoyed hundreds of meals. Personally, I think a restaurant can be a solid 4 star without the "wow".)

But to have only one memorable dish, that's a disappointment.

Ankle feels fine today, just needed an afternoon of rest, only getting up to give the onion confit a stir every once in a while. I watched the entire season of Sex and the City, so now that its ended, I am finally culturally literate! :laugh:

Wasn't there a thread somewhere recently on the Gullet about Steven Starr stating he couldn't find any good help in Philly and needing to dip into the NYC employee pool?

Overall I don't think I would go back unless I hit the lottery...too many other great places in Philly (or Cinnaminson) to try for far less $$$.

I think Starr was quoted in a NYT article as indicating that his biggest problem was finding good waitstaff that knew what they were doing.

I'd actually like to find the article, so I can better understand the context and such.

I do agree with much of the basic sentiment.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've only been to Morimoto once, but it was a great experience... I ate and drank with Morimoto and chatted with him for a while, he's a terrific person and a fabulous chef... But, he is only one man, and, as a result, must rely on others to help him run his restaurant... Your experience sounds terrible, and I'm hoping it was an isolated incident as I have been looking forward to returning to Morimoto...

I will certainly post a full review the next time I eat there (should be in a month or two)...

Glad to hear that your ankle is feeling better and that you are now a Sex and the City Expert! :biggrin:

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

I think Starr was quoted in a NYT article as indicating that his biggest problem was finding good waitstaff that knew what they were doing.

I'd actually like to find the article, so I can better understand the context and such. 

I do agree with much of the basic sentiment.

Yep, according to the 2/25/04 Times piece, "What's It Take to Get a Waiter in This City?"

Stephen Starr, Philadelphia's answer to Drew Nieporent, has even placed ads in New York to find front-of-the-house people for his restaurants. "You can't find enough qualified people in Philadelphia," he said.

Starr is also raiding chefs from NYC, spec. Alfred Portale. Read it today's Inky

Kim:

Shhh!!!!!!!!!! It's already too crowded! Keep it a secret!

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Kim:

I just met a charming gentleman this afternoon who promised to tell me about his favorite sushi restaurant in NJ and it isn't any of the usual suspects like Fuji (my fave) or Sagami.  He said he's been going there for a year and a half and hasn't told a soul about it yet for fear of creating a stampede.  We've made arrangements to have dinner sometime soon and the secret sushi location will be revealed. 

The place the gentlemen is taking you is Kyoto at Merchant's Walk in Cherry Hill.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Could the restaurant be MoMo, the old Nobo? It's on Rt. 38 across from a nightclub Prospecter? I've heard some good reports. This Gentleman does cause a stir, even before the date.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

Could the restaurant be MoMo, the old Nobo? It's on Rt. 38 across from a nightclub Prospecter? I've heard some good reports. This Gentleman does cause a stir, even before the date.

Date as in "calendar date", not as in "out on a date" I presume. The gentleman seems quite happily married and that's just not my style. However, it seems he's extended the invitation to a mutual friend as well, so I'll have to start prodding for an actual calendar date with both of them to arrange this sushi outing and solve the mystery!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
Kim:

I just met a charming gentleman this afternoon who promised to tell me about his favorite sushi restaurant in NJ and it isn't any of the usual suspects like Fuji (my fave) or Sagami.  He said he's been going there for a year and a half and hasn't told a soul about it yet for fear of creating a stampede.  We've made arrangements to have dinner sometime soon and the secret sushi location will be revealed. 

The place the gentlemen is taking you is Kyoto at Merchant's Walk in Cherry Hill.

Sooooooooooo....was I right or was I right?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Kim:

Sooooooooooo....was I right or was I right?

Don't have an answer yet. Scheduling three very busy people to be at same place and time is challenging, at best. I haven't forgotten about it and will definitely keep you all updated.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

My wife and I will be coming up from MD next month for our anniversary and we were thinking about going to Morimoto. Has anyone been lately that could offer an opinion or a review?

Thanks in advance (from a DelMarVa Gulleter)!!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Was there 3 wks ago. Had the omakase, both food and beverage. While the food was excellent, we ended up dropping close to $450 with tips for two. For that kind of money, the entire experience was a bit lacking. And the space is noisy as hell-not sure its what I'd want for an anniversary occassion. I'd much rather go see Matt Ito again at Fuji.

I went a couple of months ago and also had the Omakase. We ordered two different price ranges at our table to get a better variety. The food was, for the most part, excellent in terms of taste and presentation. My only minor disappointment was with the sushi portion of dinner, which seemed a bit "average". Instead of the beverage omakase, we decided to try the Morimoto beers. The hazelnut is a bit strong, and I wouldn't recommend it with dinner since it didn't exactly complement the food. We spent ~$175/person, and I would definitely go back again.

The atmosphere is more trendy than intimate, and even though we went on a Wednesday night, it was still rather noisy. I could make out our neighbors' conversation (though they were a rather boisterous crowd). It is a fun place to go, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an anniversary dinner.