• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a gal to do with tat soi?

newsbabe

I've belonged to a CSA for years now, and always seem to get an abundance of tat soi. Either I'm just plain am not fond of the stuff, or I haven't come up with the right way to cook it. (I generally love greens, so my guess is I don't have a good way to prepare this!)

Does anyone have any recipes or links to good ones that can show me how to prepare tat soi in a tasty way? I sorta have the same problem with brocoli rabi (sp?). I have it in resturants, and it's DELICIOUS. I make it at home, and it's bitter and yucky.

Help! :rolleyes:

I've found that blanching before stir frying them cuts the bitter taste of most bitter vegetables, like broccoli rabe.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

a possible recipe?

We first try this new green (for us) s part of an asian-style meal. We purchased tatsoi, an asian dark green vegetable, at the Baltimore Farmer's Market the day before. We cook it as we do spinach, in a little oil until just wilted. Sesame oil and hot pepper flakes complement this green nicely.

chilled sesame ginger tatsoi

tatsoi salad with scallops

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

From the first link:

The most time-consuming part of this side dish is washing the tatsoi. We have about six cups of tatsoi. We put about 2 cups of leaves into the salad spinner and fill with water. We lift out the colander part of the spinner and discard the water. We repeat this a few times and then put the leaves into the bowl of the spinner and fill with water. We rinse out the colander and lift the tatsoi into it. We discard the water and see if it is clean.

Uh, have they never washed a heap of veggies before? Don't they know how to fill a *sink* with water?

Edited by Hest88 (log)

<my snarky comment> yeah...i like how they spent more time talking about how to wash the tat soi, rather than how to prepare it! ha!

anyways, thanks for the recipe ideas. the ginger one sounds good! i'll give it a try!