• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC & DelMarVa BBQ Club

otello

1. Crop and resize photographs using some variation of photoshop to no larger than 640x440 (I think.)

2. Click on Imagegullet

3. Create album

4. Upload photos

5. Cut and paste the link into a reply.

Hope that helps.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...
I could probably do a BBQ run on Saturday. Count me in as a "probably."

Why don't you just fire up that smoker?

Saturday is out for me. Could probably do Sunday.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 2 weeks later...
Anything happening with this?

There should be. I think somewhere in Charles County should be next. Fort Washington has a lot of picnic areas, perhaps a group of us could head down to some of the bbq joints, pick up a mess of stuff from 2 or 3 different places, and bring it up to Fort Washington where more of us could meet. I'd be willing to do a pick up.

I went to a place near Indian Head that had fantastic ribs called Dale's Smokehouse this past Sunday. It was all about the smoke and the pork-- fatty, but excellent. It was on the left about 2 miles before the entrance to the naval station in Indian Head. I stuffed myself on nearly an entire rack.

-- A.B.

We won't be able to make it to CK on the 7th, but wanted to add for your planning purposes that we are interested in the upcoming BBQ trek and, as former Charles county residents, would be happy to aid in navigating the wilds of southern MD.

Also, if we drive our environmentally-unfriendly vehicle, we'd have room for up to six others to ride along with us (and could meet up with those coming from D.C. at one of the Alexandria metro stations).

• 3 weeks later...

Next meeting:

Sunday, October 3rd,

12pm - we leave from an agreed upon location to go to Charles County.

We'll arrive 1 or 1:30 I'm guessing (alternatively, we can meet in CC at a specific time)

From the thread above, desitinations could be:

Johnny Boy's Ribs, on Rt 301 just south of the Rt 6 crossroads at La Plata

OR

Charles County has the best bbq in the greater D. C. and Baltimore areas since open air pits are allowed. There are at least 15 of these with Johnny Boy's the most famous. If someone knows specifics for the other places, please post here.

The date is set, the general location is set, everything else is open to discussion. Post here or PM if you're coming.

I'm into this. I was thinking of doing a little intelligence work down that way this weekend-- try out another bbq joint.

A few of us (maybe 3?) could each hit a different bbq stand and get a sampling of ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc., and then we'd meet the rest of the group at a local park. Maybe the rest of the group would be responsible for bringing the rest-- homemade coleslaw, baked beans, pasta salads, drinks, etc.

Whadayathink?

-- A.B.

A few of us (maybe 3?) could each hit a different bbq stand and get a sampling of ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc., and then we'd meet the rest of the group at a local park. Maybe the rest of the group would be responsible for bringing the rest-- homemade coleslaw, baked beans, pasta salads, drinks, etc.

Whadayathink?

Sounds like a great idea to me also. As I wrote earlier, I think T&J's (on 225 between La Plata and Indian Head) is worth trying out.

I have a great (at least to my taste buds!) recipe for coleslaw that I would be more than happy to bring along and, time permitting, I could also make some bread and/or buns.

We could either help pick up BBQ or drive a group (or both). We just need to be back up here by four-ish to pick up my sis & bro-in-law at the airport.

There's a decent shot I will be in. I have no opinions on BBQ places in CC but am happy to pick some up if I can get an address--or join somebody else's reconnaisance mission.

been following this thread, and would love to join in!

I am coming from Annapolis... so must meet you there in CC, or along the way.

I would be more than happy to bring coleslaw (I have been told the best for years), or maybe a lemon cake, .... drinks, whatever.

BTW, Skins are away in Cleveland on the 3rd, but 1 o'clock game... i guess I have to miss.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

• 2 weeks later...