• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Le Convivial

maxanon

Just wanted to say that I ate at Le Convivial last night and I really enjoyed it. It's where the old Le Transition used to be (on Sherbrooke west, in Westmount). We were looking for something light and someone had suggested it.

I had Quebec lamb with great mashed patotoes and my gf had the scallops. We both really enjoyed the meals (she got white asparagus to boot). I then had the meyer lemon desset plate (lemon-tequila sorbet, lemon custard and souffle) and she had the special (goat cheese, figs and a balsamic reduction).

We left contented. We were told the ex sous-chef from Auberge Hatley prepared the meals.

max

edit remark: added sous-chef to correct error.

Edited by maxanon (log)

No actually I heard the same thing before I dined there. Someone must be saying something along those lines if we both heard the same thing. But I called the Auberge to check when I reviewed the place, and Labrie has not left.

• 1 month later...

I actually confirmed with a friend of his yesterday, he is the ex chef de cuisine of the Auberge Hatley, he also brought the pastry chef with him. If you don't read the bad review and try it for yourself, it's a great little french restaurant. I've been there a couple of times already, nothing but great food.

I might have been the one responsible for that "bad" review, and I stick by what I wrote. Nice people at this restaurant but the food was nothing more than OK on the night I dined there.

Also, Alain Labrie is the chef at Auberge Hatley and still is. Are you making a difference here between executive chef and chef de cuisine, or are you saying Labrie now works at Le Convivial?