• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alinea

chefg

Will you have the controversial Kitchen Table? And what kitchens worldwide are you drawing upon for design?

When I was at the French Laundry a small group of us would sit around after service and fanticize about dream kitchens and how we would change the laundry kitchen to better suit our needs. Of course the kitchen that we were standing in at the time was beautiful by present day standards, however every cook can always come up with ways to make his/her operation more efficient and aesthetically appealing.

When the opportunity presented itself for this project the ideas flooded my mind how we would design a kitchen to help us execute our cuisine. Not unlike food… kitchen design has done little in terms of moving forward in modern times. Classic designs and traditional cooking suites are the norm in today’s high-end kitchens. They are dominating by French Top and open burner heat sources. These ranges are fine for kitchens that employ traditional methods of cooking their products. We have these systems in place at Trio and have done our best to make them work for us, however we could be much more efficient if the kitchen were built around the cuisine, not just put in place because it is what everyone else uses. If a cook is poaching lobster en sous vide at 128 F and has componets such as a self encapsulated sauce that needs to be heated in a 155 F water bath, a broth that needs to be boiled prior to serving, a sugar component that needs a salamander to melt it , and an oven to warm the arromatic bread... a raging french top does him little good. However, if he had two highly sensitive induction units that he could set the temperature for the poaching applications, the salamnder above him for the sugar, with the oven below for the bread, and the open burner to boil his broth... he is in good shape. Not to mention the grill pan resting on the French top nearby , the tempura oil at the perfect temperture and the hot saute pan ready for searing the garnish..with the freezer to his immediate left ...all for the use to assemble the other dish he is responsible for. To top all of that off in 6 weeks neither of the menu items I described above will be on the menu, so now he has to be able to morph his station to fit the needs of the next dishes.....and so on.

Two months ago on a busy night I took a step back and viewed the line in action. Within a 8 foot linear space the team was employing 11 different cooking techniques. It struck me then that with the complexity and varied cooking we do we need a kitchen that is universal and flexible. With the menu in constant state of evolution it is imperative that the cooks have the ability to manipulate their station to fit the dishes they are responsible for.

It is my intention to create a kitchen that can be in constant flux. We will utilize induction as 50 % of our heat sources followed by 25% radiant salamanders and 25% tradition stoves and ranges. The idea here is to provide a wide range heat source possibilities to the cook so the physical design of the kitchen does not become a limiting factor of creativity. The same idea will be applied to refrigoration and freezer spaces.

I could and will spend several hours thinking and writing about the kitchen design of Alinea. This is just a glimpse.

To answer your question directly. None. I am analyzing the cuisine we currently produce , trying to determine where it will evolve to, and allowing the cuisne to design our kitchen for us.

No kitchen table.

Edited by chefg (log)

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Chefg,

What has your experience been with cooktek? Seeing as they are located extremely close to downtown (Chicago)would they be a company that you would consider using from a maintenance repair standpoint?

I am assuming that you will not be using a classic line whether it be a French suite or the classsic American straight line, have you considered individual pieces that would you suit your needs, set on casters, with industrial "snaps" to hold into place. Essentially you could "rebuild" your line as you needed it. I ask out of my own curiosity in redefining menu engineering. I am looking forward to this thread as your new "train" keeps on chugging, best of luck with all that is involved.

ducphat30

Patrick Sheerin

Guys,

I think it's best to leave the focus of this thread squarely on Chef G and his future plans for Alinea.

For a discussion of Kitchen Tables, check out this thead, started by Truffle last September.

Chef's/Kitchen Tables, Experiences

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Chefg,

What has your experience been with cooktek?  Seeing as they are located extremely close to downtown (Chicago)would they be a company that you would consider using from a maintenance repair standpoint? 

I am assuming that you will not be using a classic line whether it be a French suite or the classsic American straight line, have you considered individual pieces that would you suit your needs, set on casters, with industrial "snaps" to hold into place.  Essentially you could "rebuild" your line as you needed it.  I ask out of my own curiosity in redefining menu engineering.  I am looking forward to this thread as your new "train" keeps on chugging, best of luck with all that is involved.

ducphat30

Cooktek is the leader in induction heat sources in this country. We use one of their portable units at Trio and find that it performs at a very high level. I especially like the versatility found in a portable unit. Their single hob units can reach up to 31,000 BTU’s, which is comparable or exceeds that of open burner or French top sources. As I mentioned before induction is very underutilized in this country. Much more popular in Europe, I expect that it will find it’s place here in the US market if chefs learn about it’s benefits. It is faster in both recovery and suppression, easier to control at precise temperatures, has less radiant heat, easier to clean, more economical and has high aesthetic appeal. I suspect Alinea will have several Cooktek units in the kitchen.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Though I am not a chef, nor trained in those hyper-disciplined arts, I must say that reading this thread is not unlike my first encounter with the poetry of Emily Dickinson. I feel the thrill of poetry.

And being a typographical geek and former calligrapher, and one who once used the OED in amorous amusements (okay, "bedroom word games with smart people"), the glyph for, and meaning of, "Alinea" is sublime. I predict a wave of babies with this name in about two years. It's so pretty and full of potential for use.

I love that, while Alinea indicates a new train of thought, it's still one paragraph in a larger body of thoughts.

Best of all things to you, chefg, in manifesting your beautiful vision, and may your path be one of synergy, happy creativity, and contentment.

I know, artists generally aren't content, but I hope you get a slice or two of that. I guess contentment is the conscious occasional appreciation that this is as good as life gets. If you're giving "this is as good as life gets" moments to people, then you should have some inner peace. (Gee, now I wonder if that's even desireable for a chef.)

you know, it's funny...when just the description of the kitchen can make someone begin to salivate, you've got a great idea on your hands. It sounds amazing, chef... I cannot wait to experience it.

I'm also very intrigued by "self encapsulated sauces"....could you give an explanation?

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

you know, it's funny...when just the description of the kitchen can make someone begin to salivate, you've got a great idea on your hands. It sounds amazing, chef... I cannot wait to experience it.

I'm also very intrigued by "self encapsulated sauces"....could you give an explanation?

Self-encapsulation of liquids was something we had talked about at Trio since the beginning of our time here. The concept of it exemplifies the thought processes we have in the kitchen. You will frequently hear me say to a cook asking what to add to a puree to adjust the consistency is. …itself. If you are making celery soup, what should the ingredients be to make that soup taste like the essence of celery? Well, celery ….of course, not water, not cream…celery. The point I am trying to make is if you take a product and wrap it in itself it has nothing to dilute the flavor that you are trying to express.

In 2003 a former team member and myself visited the IFT expo in Chicago. (Institute of Food Technologists). The expo is a showcase for food processing companies, similar to the National restaurant show in its respective field. One of the things we stumbled upon was a company that was demonstrating the uses of Alginate. In the food processing industry they use it primarily to adhere spice mixes to frozen chicken breasts to add durability during packaging. We watched the demonstrator pour a clear liquid onto a table. He would then mist it with another solution, and it would congeal before our eyes. The other solution was calcium chloride.

At this point we had encapsulated liquid in pasta. (black truffle explosion) At the sight of this new technique we figured we could eliminate the pasta and wrap black truffle juice in itself. We placed an order for the product. One week later the NY Times Magazine piece on Ferran Adria came out. There it was…caviar of apple and the infamous pea ravioli. One step ahead of us for sure…but we were on the right track no doubt.

When the product arrived we knew we couldn’t do “caviar” or even super ball sized encapsulations due to Adria’s precedent. So we posed ourselves with a challenge. How do we create an encapsulation the size of a hardball? A self encapsulated soup or sauce depending on the size desired. Two weeks later we figured it out, and the technique has been applied to both sweet and savory applications in the restaurant. Pete Wells does a good job of describing the process in the July issue of Food and Wine…the article on Innovative pastry chefs, check it out.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Self-encapsulation of liquids was something we had talked about at Trio since the beginning of our time here. The concept of it exemplifies the thought processes we have in the kitchen. You will frequently hear me say to a cook asking what to add to a puree to adjust the consistency is. …itself. If you are making celery soup, what should the ingredients be to make that soup taste like the essence of celery? Well, celery ….of course, not water, not cream…celery. The point I am trying to make is if you take a product and wrap it in itself it has nothing to dilute the flavor that you are trying to express.

In 2003 a former team member and myself visited the IFT expo in Chicago. (Institute of Food Technologists). The expo is a showcase for food processing companies, similar to the National restaurant show in its respective field. One of the things we stumbled upon was a company that was demonstrating the uses of Alginate. In the food processing industry they use it primarily to adhere spice mixes to frozen chicken breasts to add durability during packaging. We watched the demonstrator pour a clear liquid onto a table. He would then mist it with another solution, and it would congeal before our eyes. The other solution was calcium chloride.

At this point we had encapsulated liquid in pasta. (black truffle explosion) At the sight of this new technique we figured we could eliminate the pasta and wrap black truffle juice in itself. We placed an order for the product. One week later the NY Times Magazine piece on Ferran Adria came out. There it was…caviar of apple and the infamous pea ravioli. One step ahead of us for sure…but we were on the right track no doubt.

When the product arrived we knew we couldn’t do “caviar” or even super ball sized encapsulations due to Adria’s precedent. So we posed ourselves with a challenge. How do we create an encapsulation the size of a hardball? A self encapsulated soup or sauce depending on the size desired. Two weeks later we figured it out, and the technique has been applied to both sweet and savory applications in the restaurant. Pete Wells does a good job of describing the process in the July issue of Food and Wine…the article on Innovative pastry chefs, check it out.

Here is a link to the article Chef Achatz is talking about with the whole Alginate thing. Very good article about avant garde pastry chefs in the country, needless to say Trio's pastry chef is mentioned inthere. There is also a blurb about Alinea and the fact that it will have no pastry station!

Pastry Provocateurs

Grant- best of luck on your new venture, it will defenitly be on our to-go-to places next time we're in Chicago. What's the physical address? Is it closer to downtown Chicago than Trio?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Grant- best of luck on your new venture, it will defenitly be on our to-go-to places next time we're in Chicago. What's the physical address? Is it closer to downtown Chicago than Trio?

Elie

Alinea will be much closer to downtown Chicago than Trio. The address is still undecided at this time.

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Chef G,

I dont know if your taking resumes yet but I would love to be a part of your new venture. I've been working on a few techniques that you might be interested in, crispy srirachi (not sugar/egg white paper), "sugar cured" melons and pit fruits, gel tempura, "smooth" citrus water (you cant evaporate it like a vinegar), flavored salts (not just chopping up nuts with sea salt). Where can I send you the recipes?

bill_pls_barb@hotmail.com

I'm not a biter, I'm a writer for myself and others...

Moderator Note: This was previously posted upthread by chefg...

Good question, are you taking stages or hiring yet?

I have only retained management positions for Alinea at this point. I would suggest checking the website frequently when it launches sometime in the next two weeks. It will offer information regarding externships, employment and stage opportunities available when we decide to start taking commitments for these positions.

Alinea Restaurant :smile:

=R=

error on the site/cannot access - perhaps the alinea site is not up and running?

No, I don't think it's up...just wanted to repost the link for our future reference.

=R=

Alinea will no doubt be one of the greatest restaurants of our time. Im excited to see how it adds to the expansion of the culinary mind. Chicago will be the culinary hotbed of ideas for the world soon enough. With great respect, congrats chef.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com