• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near Constitution Hall

OK, so my sister is graduating from high school next week, huzzah huzzah. Her graduation will take place in the evening, on a weeknight, at Constitution Hall.

Are there nice restaurants in easy walking (or short cabbing) distance? That's Foggy-Bottom ish, right? It would be an early dinner before the ceremony, like 5 or 5:30. My sister will probably want to go somewhere not-ethnic, something a little fancy (or that she'll think is fancy, anyway), but that desire must be tempered with ensuring that my (super-traditional, kimchee-and-barbeque eating, cheese-hating) Korean parents and grandparents will be able to find something not-too-weird-by-their-standards to eat (roast chicken and potatoes or somesuch).

I don't really get to that part of town much. Thanks!

Nectar and Dish are both pretty close; Dish is probably better on the something-relatives-will-eat factor.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I would look in the Metro Center area. Restaurants such as Butterfield Nine, Oceanaire, M&S Grill, Chef Geoff, Red Sage, Ceiba, Ortanique. It would be a short cab ride over to Constitution Hall. Given the restrictions you describe, M&S might fill the bill. Certainly they have roast chicken.

Taberna del Alabardero is probably the closest to Constitution Hall (just up 18th)

Vidalia is a little longer of a walk but may be a better option.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Kinkeads? If your grandparents (and the others in the party) enjoy seafood.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

The Occidental Room at the Willard is near by but very fancy and pricey. Also, the Hotel Washington has a roof top restaurant with classic American food. I think Kinkead's (20th and Penn) or the Red Sage (15th and G, I think) are your best bets.