• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To refrigerate or not to refrigerate?

This may seem trivial, but where do you stand on chilled baked goods? It's a major point of contention in my household--my boyfriend prefers cakes, brownies, muffins, and pastries straight out of the refrigerator, while I can't stand to have my baked sweets at anything less than room temerature, and in fact I prefer them warm if at all possible. Does keeping baked goods refrigerated have any merit? Are there some types that do better with refrigeration and some that do better at room temp?

He was a bold man that first eat an oyster. --Jonathan Swift

As long as you promise not to say "I told you so!" to your husband, I'll agree with you. Breads and other fermented things actually stale more quickly in the refrigerator, but on the other hand, be careful of letting pastries with cream fillings and other potentially dangerous ingredients sit out.

I'm not a fan of the microwave, but i"ve been told that one can take the chill off too cold stuff ( without actually warming it) fairly easily