• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quantities

snowangel

I can cook, and I can do a party. Very well.

But, I have a really hard time guaging how much to cook for how many people.

And, having that sense of motherly or midwestern guilt, if there isn't way more than is needed, I feel bad. But, I hate to have so much we can't use it.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for cooked/preped quanties per person that counts (I don't consider toddler who will take a bite or two off a parent's plate before running off to chase a ball a player).

This weekend, I'm doing pulled pork and three sides. What do I figure?

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

my rule of thumb is around 7oz proteins total, couple of ozs on sides. Of course this is highly variable on guests age, gender, ethnicity, alcohol consumption, time of day, phase of the moon, and other factors ;). I will total, add 10% and call it a day. Remember to try to figure in any loss due to cooking, bones-bone in pork butt, trim, etc....Pulled pork sandwich? gonna use a little less pork due to rolls, slaw and so on.

hth, danny

snowangel, I do the same thing, so I'll be interested in the replies you get. This past weekend, I did a cook-out for may daughter's law school graduation. Had a ton of potato salad and way too many chips. Additionally, I don't have a scale - what's 2 oz? I usually go by the amount of servings called for in the recipe, but often it seems those are large portions, or maybe just too big when other sides are offered. If guests are taking 1/2 portions of 2 sides, then you'd less of each, but how do you know??? It would be awful to run out!!!

Stop Family Violence

For parties and entertaining I just always cook way more than I know I will need. I generally don't know how many people will show up anyway, as I do not have the organizational skills to set up and track an RSVP system ;).

Worst comes to worst and there are tons of leftovers, they can be sent home with more than willing guests in tupperware.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm no help since I always make enough to feed the entire neighbourhood. My husband just rolls his eyes when I start listing all the things I'm going to make when we have company :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

For parties and entertaining I just always cook way more than I know I will need. I generally don't know how many people will show up anyway, as I do not have the organizational skills to set up and track an RSVP system ;).

Worst comes to worst and there are tons of leftovers, they can be sent home with more than willing guests in tupperware.

That is kinda where I am. I figure about 1/2 pound of meat per person when it is BBQ because folks seem to keep picking.

Not Tupperware, though. Too expensive. I get deli containers at the restaurant supply store. At about 15 cents apiece, I don't care if they come back.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For parties and entertaining I just always cook way more than I know I will need.  I generally don't know how many people will show up anyway, as I do not have the organizational skills to set up and track an RSVP system  ;).

That is kinda where I am. I figure about 1/2 pound of meat per person when it is BBQ because folks seem to keep picking.

Not Tupperware, though. Too expensive. I get deli containers at the restaurant supply store. At about 15 cents apiece, I don't care if they come back.

Hmm, not a bad idea.

I am actually guilty of using Ziploc bags for a lot of stuff I send home.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide