• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rushinas Recipe Hunt! ...If I ask nicely

Rushina

Indian Chinese

I mentioned in an earlier thread somewhere that I love hot and sour soup. I am an addict and I could write poetry on a good version. I actually judge a chinese (indian) restaurant by the Hot and sour soup. Anybody have a recipe. (Episure??? :hmmm: )

IMO for those who are curious, the hot and sour soup is at the Cricket Club of India, the Chinese room and Something Fishy at the Tunga Intl hotel are worth going back for again and again.

I also love a few other chinese dishes that I would like recipes for with the objective of trying them out at home.

Manchurian (chicken and veg). I really like the flavour of this one but the recipe proves elusive.

There is a delicious starter served at the Chinese Room and a few other restaurants in bombay, It goes under the name Corn curd / Cream. I have some Idea of how it is made but need a proper recipe.

Could anyone help?

Thanks

Rushina

Edited by Rushina (log)

• 2 weeks later...

*Trying to ask as nicely as Rushina did* Please, please, me too... When I came to the US 3 years ago, my cooking repertoire essentially consisted of brewing tea and making omelettes for breakfast. Hysterical and frantic urges to eat avial 'like it tastes at home' and dosas 'not as crisp as restaurants and not soggy but the way mom makes em' have turned me into this person who scouts the internet lurking on food forums and dreaming of the perfect aloo gobhi :O. Personally, I think I've come a long way but the one thing I haven't even come close to is desi chinese food.. I crave for a veggie manchurian like the ones back in Bombay and have tried making em 3-4 times. I was somewhat successful making the manchurian itself but the gravy just refuses to taste like its sposed to :sad:.

If anyone here has a recipe, please please share the same.. . I promise to try it out and post nice pictures if I succeed...

-worm@work

MMMM Chilli Paneer :wub: . Btw, I tried making Monica's newly wed bride's pomfret curry today and despite being a vegetarian, I almost succumbed to the totally gorgeous looking dish. My hubby, the Konkani fishetarian says its award worthy :laugh: . I actually found fresh kokum at a store which is what inspired me to try this one.. thanks a ton Monica!!

- worm@work

so many questions nicely asked... no replies..... where are all the wise ones of this forum?????

Please add a recipe for Chicken Chettinad and Kothimbir Wade... to my list of recipe requests....

Rushina

MMMM Chilli Paneer :wub: . Btw, I tried making Monica's newly wed bride's pomfret curry today and despite being a vegetarian, I almost succumbed to the totally gorgeous looking dish. My hubby, the Konkani fishetarian says its award worthy :laugh: . I actually found fresh kokum at a store which is what inspired me to try this one.. thanks a ton Monica!!

- worm@work

I am glad it worked out for you!!!

Monica

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Please please send me a recipe for manchurian,chilli paneer and kothimbir vadi.I am close to giving up on making a decent manchurian-they are either heavy and soggy or dry and crunchy.

I discovered egullet quite recently and am having a great time reading the discussions and knowing there are many more people as crazy about cooking as I am.

It should be great fun to be a part of this gang!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...