• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The First NJ eGullet Dinner

Rachel Perlow

Add jsibley to that list, along with a "probably" from megkel & her husband, and we're up to 18 - 21 participants. I'm glad we're going there early cause at this rate we'll be taking over the place! Just kidding, they seat around 100, so the more the merrier! :)

The reservation is under eGullet.

For those concerned about having a non-pork or shellfish appetizer, I discussed having Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce as an alternate choice.

There should be red & white sangria on the table as we arrive and appetizers will be served after everyone has arrived (by 5:30ish?). At that hour we will probably be the only ones there (it gets crowded later on), but so you know they are planning on setting up the first long table on the left after you walk past the bar, since that one they can set up for 22 people.

Please plan on paying with cash, hopefully everyone won't only bring ฤs (in other words, exact change appreciated, although we'll bring some smaller bills just in case) as you arrive (so we don't have to collect it all in a hurry at the end of the meal).  Per Rosie's suggestion, I have made up nametags for everyone, with the eGullet logo in color, no less!

I'm really looking forward to this event and I hope you all are too!

Rachel

They don't normally have a "prix fixe" on the menu - but for parties of 15 or more, they have a set menu.

Quote: from Rosie on 1:05 pm on Jan. 22, 2002

Rachel. How much is dinner?

ะ per person. Here is what I wrote about cost & the menu from the first post of this thread:
Quote: from RPerlow on 1:10 pm on Dec. 26, 2001

Our dinner will include several appetizers served family style (Shrimp and Garlic, Clams in Green Sauce, Grilled Portuguese Sausage and Fried Calamari), Salad (a very simple salad bar), your choice of Main Course, and Dessert. Beverages are also included (domestic beer, wine, sangria, sodas, coffee, tea, espresso – please pay cash if you order something else from the bar) in the price of ะ per person (including tax and tip), plan to pay with cash.

Main course choices include: Rodizio, Pork Chops, Veal Chops, a couple different kinds of steak, Grilled cod, grouper or salmon, Paella, mariscada, barbecued Chicken, Chicken with Rice, Shrimp with Rice... there were 15 or 20 choices, I don't have the menu with me at work, but it seemed there is something for everyone.

(Edited by RPerlow at 1:47 pm on Jan. 22, 2002)

Quote: from tommy on 2:03 pm on Jan. 22, 2002

Can they possibly keep up with my sangria consumption, especially considering it's built in to the price?  i'd be quite impressed if they do.

I hope Mrs. Tommy is driving home! I usually don't drink too much, but sangria is the one thing I've been known to get drunk on at restaurants. Last time we had sangria out and it was just me & Jason, he had one or two glasses and I finished the rest of the pitcher; I just drank it like water!

BTW, Rosie, I know your preference for sugar-free sangria, so I asked about it when I called. Was told that they don't add sugar to their sangria, just use wine that is on the sweet side.

With Mark's confirmation of his brother's attendance, a couple of people bringing friends (those w/out usernames listed) and a cancellation from the Sarins :( we are confirmed at 25 participants. It seems like a very interesting mix of ages, couples and singles (although a couple of the singles are married, just coming sans spouse):

Stefany Benson (stefanyb)

Glyn and Yvonne Johnson (yvonne johnson)

Ken and Meg Kelleher (megkel)

Alan and Sandy Levine (Sandra Levine)

Wendy Levins (Wendy Levins)

Jon Lurie (jhlurie)

Nora O’Connor

Jason and Rachel Perlow (Jason Perlow and RPerlow)

Paul and Dee Reiss (Rail Paul)

Ken and Helena Robinson (Helena Robinson)

Lowell and Rosie Saferstein (Rosie)

Jonathan Sibley (jsibley)

Sarah Speck

Mark and Rich Stevens (markstevens)

Aaron Tell

Mr. and Mrs. Tommy (Tommy)

(Edited by RPerlow at 11:01 am on Jan. 24, 2002)

Quote: from RPerlow on 4:03 pm on Jan. 22, 2002

I must've been editing while you wrote your post. See above.

indeed.

might it be a good idea to put the above people's usernames here, so that we can get a feel for who we are meeting?  i suppose they would go on the name tags too, unless you've already made them up.  just a thought.

I've already made'm up and, no, I didn't put usernames on them. I figured most people would prefer to be called by their names in person and the non-eGullet spouses might feel weird calling people by usernames if they aren't just their actual name.

Anyway, I'll edit the above list to include the usernames I do have.

Rachel