• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Recs

jschyun

Food is a concern, but cheese is not one of the foods that seems to be a part of that concern. At JFK, an official went so far as to tell me chocolate was not food as if I was bothering them by declaring it. So much for the top of my food chain, or at least the non-alcoholic part. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I am now convinced that US customs officials are not randomly chucking stuff, as I once was led to believe. I heard the Canada border was problematic, but now I believe the rules are the same at every checkpoint.

I have now been back from Hawaii, went through a very thorough agricultural screening process, and brought back cheese, bread, and pasteurized juice with no problem (it was my lunch). Brought back and declared cheese and chocolate from Paris without so much as a glance from customs. Brought back cheese, chocolate, bread, and pasteurized juices from Vancouver without so much as a "what is that smell?".

Main point is, cheese, bread, and chocolate, and things that are pasteurized are considered low risk here, compared to veggies, fruits, even meats. I wouldn't even want to bring plant material back to the States. I read too much about plant disease/pest infestations and how they got started to want to do that.

"When in doubt, throw it out", is a good rule, but now I have no doubt that cheese, chocolate and bread are okay to bring back to the U.S. Yay! :biggrin:

Interesting thing: the guy at les amis du fromage said that they can't get robluchon in Canada, due to the bacterial content.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Oh gosh, Jschyun, when I'm up on Van Island this October I'm going to be holed up in our room *a lot* with bread and raw milk cheese. I love going to Canada.

For dim sum, I'd definitely recommend Kirin and President.  Note that there's also a Kirin in downtown Vancouver, on Alberni Street.  In addition to dim sum, they also have some northern Chinese (? I think...I don't remember which area of China) dishes.  The "dam-dam" noodles are superb - crisp (not crispy!) noodles with ground pork in a spicy peanut broth, sprinkled with green onions.  If you like shrimp dumplings, both President & Kirin make great ones - slightly chewy clear outer layer, & large morsels of crisp shrimp inside.

Thank you so much! Looks like I won't get those pics so I'm just going to say that President and Kirin definitely tops any dim sum I've ever had in California. I also went to Sun Sui Wah, and I understand why they make it number one, because it's your typical family style dim sum, with cart ladies, rushing waiters and such. I personally think it is on par with the best of this type in California.

I did of course try the har gau at Kirin and Richmond restaurant in President Plaza, 2nd floor (this was the right place, right? If not, it was verygood) Both places had textbook perfect hargau, something I've never seen before. Every fold was perfect. Almost complete symmetry. Taste of course was excellent. Here in California, I've seen close to perfect, but not like it came straight out of a Wei-Chuan book. All our other dishes were excellent, at both places as well. I chuckled when I saw a perfect egg tart with ginger sauce at President. This is a simple ting that a place in San Gabriel (Mission 261) screws up royally. My only regret is that I couldn't sample chicken feet. Next time I'll go to Kirin for dinner and President again for dim sum. President had more variety, though Kirin did have shark fin dumpling soup which was excellent. Tried a different soup at President (had crab in it) which was quite good as well. Also, my SO loves mango pudding and I have to admit, Kirin's is probably one of the few I think are worth ordering. I've never had such luscious, full mango taste in that dessert. It was like eating a chilled mango with a spoon.

The President plaza place also had a deal where you get 20% off dim sum ordered before 11am. Is this normal in Vancouver?

I read on the China board here that Toronto has the best dim sum in North America. Time for another trip!

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Jschyun, thank you for posting this question! Could another ignorant Yank add to your request? :smile:

My husband and I are also going to Vancouver in July. We’re staying at the Wedgewood Hotel (based on recommendations from this forum).

Could the Vancouver/British Columbia locals recommend places for breakfast within a mile or so of the hotel? We’re looking for a casual sit-down restaurant as well as a place for bagels or muffins, etc.

And would you say Lumiere is the place to go to celebrate our wedding anniversary?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. This is my first post to eGullet, so please let me know if I’m not following protocol!

Hi rhodegirl!

I'm going to honor you with my first ever post to egullet!

I'm a Canuck originally from Vancouver, currently living in Seattle. Since I've been away, Vancouver has grown so diverse with the new restaurants, I sometimes feel out of touch. Luckily I have a friend that loves to eat out as much as I do and keeps me up to date with the newest places to check out. With that said, I still find myself attached to old sentimental favorites. My husband and I really enjoy having dinner at Chartwell's at the Four Seasons. Our so called "other" favorite is Season's in the Park which is located at Queen Elizabeth Park on Cambie st. The restaurant provides a spectacular view of Vancouver's downtown and the mountains. We've been to Lumiere and it was a great experience.

The Wedgewood has Bacchus which is a wonderful lounge to have a great nightcap. Good choice for hotel. I am still however partial to the Hotel Vancouver, we had our wedding reception there.

I love White Spot for breakfast. Affordable and sit down, not too far from your hotel.

Hope your visit will be a memorable one. Happy Anniversary!

I'm going to honor you with my first ever post to egullet!

I'm a Canuck originally from Vancouver, currently living in Seattle.

I just wanted to say welcome 2010! Be sure to check out the Pac NW Forum. We're a fun group and would love to have you join us.......

Lauren

Practice Random Acts of Toasting