• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barons de Rothschild White Zinfandel?

GordonCooks

I've read the press releases & part of Rothschild's SEC filing. It is a pretty complicated deal. Any MBA/wine market economists out there that can help analyze? I've read that the price for Chalone is just a little more than book value (and pretty far below fair market value). What is really going on?

Edited to add missing word.

Edited by chasmartel (log)

Charley Martel

I've read the press releases & part of Rothschild's SEC filing. It is a pretty complicated deal. Any MBA/wine market economists out there that can help analyze? I've read that the price for Chalone is just a little more than book value (and pretty far below fair market value). What is really going on?

Its all about distribution channels.

Mark

I've read the press releases & part of Rothschild's SEC filing.  It is a pretty complicated deal.  Any MBA/wine market economists out there that can help analyze?  I've read that the price for Chalone is just a little more than book value (and pretty far below fair market value).  What is really going on?

Its all about distribution channels.

Bingo!

Sometimes I wonder when this conglomeration of our business will end?

Maybe I have answered my own question by stating "business" as it seems to be occuring in all businesses worldwide. Two more examples: Comte de Lur Saluces is "retiring" from Yquem; Mouton, Drouhin and Torres have formed an international marketing and sales company.

I feel lucky to work for a family owned company.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

. Two more examples: Comte de Lur Saluces is "retiring" from Yquem; Mouton, Drouhin and Torres have formed an international marketing and sales company.

I feel lucky to work for a family owned company.

Phil

I think that was a given due to the rocky nature of the purchase by Arnault. The board lowered the mandatory retirement age from 75 to 70.