• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

deja vu

sabg

does anyone remember this restaurant.? it was beautiful and i am pretty sure on pine street...they did private dinner thing in the wine cellar...i had an autogaphed cookbook which is now missing...asked 2 philly firends and was met with blank stares

That might be enough info for Holly and others to answer, but I suspect you'll need to give a little more info, perhaps:

decor

cuisine

general location

chef name

chef description

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

That might be enough info for Holly and others to answer, but I suspect you'll need to give a little more info, perhaps:

decor

cuisine

general location

chef name

chef description

it was in a town house

i had wild boar on some type of cabbage, very elegant for cabbage

cant remember the chefs name but his wife worked with him

expensive, i remember( i paid). 130.00 which at that time for me was huge

the had a clear raspberry liquor that was wonderful

service impeccable..booth along one side chairs on the other

i remember after chef signed the book i marked the entree my friend had, something with scallops

not much but all i am remembering, just one of those all around great evenings you dont forget

1500 or 1600 block on Pine - North side of the street. It was a beautiful room.

I recall Sal Montezinos (sp?) as the chef.

I can't remember details of the only meal I ate there, except that we were taken (by request) to see the wine cellar that was used for private dinners. The waiter told us about a recent dinner served to a group that flew in from Texas.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

1500 or 1600 block on Pine - North side of the street. It was a beautiful room.

I recall Sal Montezinos (sp?) as the chef.

I can't remember details of the only meal I ate there, except that we were taken (by request) to see the wine cellar that was used for private dinners. The waiter told us about a recent dinner served to a group that flew in from Texas.

so glad to find i am not delusional or at least not on this count. the chef name is not ringing a bell. i sure hope the cookbook shows up. there must be a way to find the book, i'll try amazon...thanks for your reply

decor

cuisine

general location

chef name

chef description

as in "Holly and the other old geezers" :angry:

Deja Vu in its time was one of Philadelphia's finest restaurants - especially grilled meats as I recall.

Deja Vu had an extraordinary wine cellar. After some friends and I dined there as Chef/Owner Sal's guest, he gave us a tour of the cellar, and then left us there because he had to attend to something in the kitchen. In his absence we talked about how great the food is and how Sal's ego may have been even greater.

Perhaps urban legend, but I suspect not - I later learned that Sal supposedly had the cellar bugged and often left people there while he listened to their conversations from above. Sal never let on that he heard our comments, but I'm thinking he did.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

decor

cuisine

general location

chef name

chef description

as in "Holly and the other old geezers" :angry:

Deja Vu in its time was one of Philadelphia's finest restaurants - especially grilled meats as I recall.

I meant Holly and the more knowledgeable folks.

Those with a much wider breadth of knowledge than me. :raz:

So Deja Vu was the name of the restaurant?

I was wondering if that's what he meant.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Geezerette checking in here.

I think I had a really romantic date at this restaurant when I was in college. Might have been a birthday or anniversary with that particular boyfriend, but I recall it being such a beautiful place. Sort of dark, but in a nice way, and very ambianced, if that's a word. It was a very grown up date because I remember he wore a tie. This fella was definitely not the tie sort, so this was serious. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

any idea where sal might be now....is there a "what ever happened to?" for chefs...i am getting a bit obsessive about this and finding the cookbook..it was the first cookbook i ever bought at a restaurant and had signed by a chef....i have been in philly a few times in the past couple of weeks and it is bringing me back to the 80's before i went to work in nyc

Didn't Deja Vu move to across the cornor from 4th st. deli? I heard that Lickly Split's location is going to be restored. South St. could really use that.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA