• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A day of wine

Florida Jim

With roast pork and pasta primavera:

2002 Coudert, Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie:

Clear, precise ripe strawberry, raspberry and cherry fruit on the nose with equally precise and lively flavors that follow the nose along with an enticing mineral note, bright acidity and some evident tannins complete the palate; a mouthwatering finish stays with you.

F**king glorious! Makes me wish I’d bought a container of this stuff.

Great potential and delicious now – what more could one want?

About $15, delivered; imported by Louis Dressner of NYC.

With cheese and crackers:

1998 Chat. Couhins-Lurton, Pessac-Leognan:

What an odd wine; very oaky nose (reminds me of some of Mondavi’s high end sauvignons, although no “coconut” aromas) with some white fruit; little oak on the palate with good white fruit and mineral tones, a touch hollow at mid-palate but gains back flesh as one swallows, bright acidity and a mouth-watering finish.

This is 100% sauvignon and my guess would be that more time in the cellar is warranted. But to have that much wood on the nose and have it all but disappear on the palate . . . I’m not sure I’d trust my ability to predict. Most unusual.

About $35 retail, importer unknown. (Curiously, this bottle did not have any indication of importer nor the BATF warning label. I bought an unopened wood case of this on release – gray market?)

With black bean salsa on garden burgers (non-meat burgers) with avocado:

2000 Alain Michaud, Brouilly Cuvee Non-filtre:

Aged Beaujolais, even at just a couple of years of age, can be so charming . . .

This was beautiful on both the nose and palate with soft red fruits and black fruit accents, nice mineral and spice tones with a hint of earth, smooth and satin textured, hidden but solid structure; very good length.

Very Brouilly with the black fruit playing more of role than in some other cru. Good depth of flavor and some complexity make this absolutely perfect with the food.

About $13, delivered; imported by Becky Wasserman Selections.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com