• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seared Scallops

markk

In one of the current Bon Appetit magazines included was a restaraunt recipe for Seared Scallops with a Reduced Apple Cider/ Marscapone Sauce, which came out perfect. Well almost perfect, since I am not a fan of lentils of which this is served upon. Lentils to me are like dirt, unworthy, almost dirty if you will. No substance, even with the addition of Pork fat.

I need a bed, or a crib as some may call it, for which to serve these wonderfull seared mollusks upon, and please no rice, as I am a POW.

peace

woodburner

I like the idea of grits. good suggestion.

Or because of the mascarpone how's bout Italian grits a.k.a polenta?

With a side of nasty little bitter greens (mesculine mix) that have become unavoidable in recent years?

I'd say spinach salad but what with the recent spinach scare...

Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

From the description of the sauce, I'm guessing it's rich, creamy and sweet. If that's the case, I'd suggest something a little bitter to offset both the sweetness and richness. Sauteed chard or arugula, maybe?

polenta (grits, as rlibkind, mentioned) or sauteed greens

I think these would have a nice neutral flavor to let the flavors of the apple cider/mascarpone reduction come through. With the sweetness of the cider I don't think I'd like the additional sweetness contributed from the corn or sweet potato, for instance. I think I would prefer the purees of celer root, cauliflower that Marc Olsen mentioned. Another vegetable puree option might be jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes.

Small, cooked white beans are delicious with grilled calamari or shrimp. These might work here as well although the texture of the scallops is more delicate. (I love lentils with grilled shrimp...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

polenta (grits, as rlibkind, mentioned) or  sauteed greens

I think these would have a nice neutral flavor to let the flavors of the apple cider/mascarpone reduction come through.  With the sweetness of the cider I don't think I'd like the additional sweetness contributed from the corn or sweet potato, for instance.  I think I would prefer the purees of celer root, cauliflower that Marc Olsen mentioned.  Another vegetable puree option might be jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes.

Small, cooked white beans are delicious with grilled calamari or shrimp.  These might work here as well although the texture of the scallops is more delicate.  (I love lentils with grilled shrimp...)

Completely irrelavant of your post.

I HEART YOUR QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT

And by quote I mean George jones referance

Edited by Six-pack-to-go (log)

^ It's a good song and they do it well... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

polenta (grits, as rlibkind, mentioned) or  sauteed greens

I think I would prefer the purees of celer root, cauliflower that Marc Olsen mentioned.  Another vegetable puree option might be jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes.

To add to the purees route... Tis the season. How's bout pumpkin? The color contrast would be lovely and the taste would be in line with the tastes of Fall that would compliment the apple cider.

Great suggestions everyone, I did the creamed corn but next time I'll puree some pumpkin.

I have a few questions regarding the Apple Cider reduction.

Here are the ingredients and method.

2 cups Apple Cider. (I used fresh pasturized, which needs to be refrigerated.)

1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

2 tb. minced shallots.

Boil for 15 minutes until reduced by half.

Easy enough. My issue is that the reduction is still to viscous. I was hoping for a tighter sauce, but it remained very watery. Not thick enough to pool, it would only wash across the plate.

How can I tighten up the reduction? Any help.

woodburner

. . . . My issue is that the reduction is still to viscous. I was hoping for a tighter sauce, but it remained very watery. Not thick enough to pool, it would only wash across the plate.

woodburner

I assume from your description that you mean the sauce was too thin? If that's the case, it seems to me that you should just reduce it longer, to the consistency you want it. Was there some other reason you felt that wouldn't work?

Great suggestions everyone, I did the creamed corn but next time I'll puree some pumpkin.

Here are the ingredients and method.

2 cups Apple Cider. (I used fresh pasturized, which needs to be refrigerated.)

1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

2 tb. minced shallots.

Boil for 15 minutes until reduced by half.

Easy enough. My issue is that the reduction is still to viscous. I was hoping for a tighter sauce, but it remained very watery. Not thick enough to pool, it would only wash across the plate.

woodburner

If you don't want to reduce it further, throwing in a tiny bit of gelatin and pectin should give you a slightly firmer, thicker mouthfeel without unduly affecting the purity of the flavour.

PS: I am a guy.

. . . . My issue is that the reduction is still to viscous. I was hoping for a tighter sauce, but it remained very watery. Not thick enough to pool, it would only wash across the plate.

woodburner

I assume from your description that you mean the sauce was too thin? If that's the case, it seems to me that you should just reduce it longer, to the consistency you want it. Was there some other reason you felt that wouldn't work?

Yes the cider reduction, after a fifteen minute boil, actually ended up thining out more than before reduction. I'm wondering wheather it should be simmered and not boiled to help thicken, or would adding cornstarch work?

woodburner

Interesting I thought you said it was a applecider marscapone sauce, yet in your last post i see no mention of marscapone, do you not add the reduction to the marscapone to form the sauce??

The cider reduction and marscapone cream sauce are two seperate sauces served with this dish. I should try and post some pictures later today.

Recipe Link

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)