• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant.com Gift Certificates at a Steal!

KatieLoeb

Hi all:

I stumbled across this thread when it was still in the NJ forum. In case any of you missed seeing THIS post, I just bought a whole mess of restaurant gift certificates for about $18.00! The discount code (48831) really works and you get 70% off the usual discounted price. So a $25 gift certificate that is normally $10 becomes $3!!! :blink: Amazing. Although some of the Philly area restaurants are already sold out, and some are in the far reaches of the universe, I still managed to snag three 50% off certificates to Taco House, two 50% off certificates good all day Saturdays and Sundays to the Riverview Deli (brunch anyone?), a couple of $25 gift certificates to Mambo's in Trenton where we had such a lovely DDC dinner awhile back and one $25 gift certificate to Cafe Habana. Not too shabby for 18 bucks and change.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

you rock!

i had the e-mail from restaurant.com (they send it to people who have purchased before, i guess), and had checked and most of the philly ones were sold out, but i went back after reading your post and it looks like they restocked

i picked up 4 Sansom Streets :) and they let you use it for lunch!

A word of warning -- I did this all way too fast and was expecting to see the Code at the end, during the transaction. It is needed up front!

I've now purchased way more certificates than I need at their full price and am trying to get the company to reimburse me.

you rock!

i had the e-mail from restaurant.com (they send it to people who have purchased before, i guess), and had checked and most of the philly ones were sold out, but i went back after reading your post and it looks like they restocked

i picked up 4 Sansom Streets :) and they let you use it for lunch!

Thanks for the heads up. I was bummed yesterday when Devon Seafood and Sansom Street Oyster House were out of stock. Just picked up a few of each for the startling price of $3!

I think I'll be making good use of these for some happy hour oysters or mussels and a glass or two of wine. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks for the great tip. I just picked up 6 of them ($18 for $125 worth of gift certificates.) Can't thank you enough. :-)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Credit for the original "Eureka!" call on this one goes to dbrociner, who posted this in the NJ forum and it was subsequently moved to General Food topics. I just posted this heads up for the PA peeps. :smile:

OK - everyone together now. [singsong]Thank you dbrociner!!![/singsong]

Glad everyone is getting certificates to their hearts content. I wonder if Restaurant.com is experiencing a serious spike and not knowing why? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hey--can you use more than 1 gc at a time?? ie. can I bring 3 to dinner at Sansom St??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Ahh..from the terms and conditions it looks like no. Does anyone know if Sansom St allows you to apply it to alcohol as well?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara:

This varies from restaurant to restaurant. Terms and conditions for each certificate are clickable before you buy them.

I'd think two people could easily use up a $25.00 certificate just on food at Sansom St. though. Heck, just go for their happy hour special and eat a boatload of the oysters and clams on the half shell and a bowl of the best Snapper soup that still exists in this town. (RIP Bookbinders)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

i have used sevral at sansom street. we usually use them at lunch, for either 2 or 4. my husband had a beer once and they took it off, but i'm not sure it you went and ordered an app and several drinks whether they would be too happy.

when we have 2 for lunch i always try to "order up" a little. I recently took my sister and we ordered steamed clams to split, 2 lunches and 2 iced teas, total was still only 34 bucks ;) (minus my 25 of course)

in case you don't know, the restaurant get's 0$ from the purchase of the gift certificate. what they get from restaurant.com is developement of their website and advertising.

that being said i just bought a slew of them with that discount code (including 4 for sansom street). if they stop taking them, go out of business, or simply change their restriction (restaurants change their restrictions often, and they should honor your gc with the restrictions printed on them, but often don't), restaurant.com will issue a refund (we've gotten several)

happy dining :)