• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 2002 Castle Rock RRV Pinot

Redwinger

2002 Castle Rock RRV Pinot

I've read a bunch of notes (mostly positive) about Castle Rock wines and have been anxious to try one. Unfortunately, I've never seen them at local retail until last week. I hope the retailer still some left when I go back for a case tomorrow, because NJ and I really liked it a lot. It's not often I get to say that about $8-$11 Pinot.

Solid core of red cherry fruit, just enough earthiness on the nose to remind you this is Pinot afterall, a touch of oak that did not intude, and a spicy finish that lingers. A lot to like in this package.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

a relatively new negociant with an affinity for pinot. i tried the '01 carneros. i think there was a really good wine somewhere in the bottle, but had a lot of trouble finding it through the haze of sugar.

WINE OF THE WEEK: by Gil Lempert-Schwarz

For those who thought that Castle Rock was just another movie production company and that Greg Popovich was the head coach of the San Antonio Spurs, here's a surprise for you. Castle Rock is also the name of a small and interesting winery in California, owned by legendary wine executive Greg Popovich, who has dribbled more grapes in his days than his namesake has basketballs.

An operation without major overheads, such as Castle Rock Winery, is indeed great news for wine lovers and consumers. As I have said time and again, the California wine industry needs to look at the business model adhered to by this small producer. They have access to as good fruit as any of their higher-priced "competitors" and can make wine just as well, since it is California and terroir does not play as an important role as it does in places such as France.

From absolutely nowhere, these guys have come around and are producing a profound and wonderful range of wines, such as this Pinot Noir from Sonoma Valley. It is easily one of the most impressive Pinots that I have tasted for a while, notwithstanding its price of less than $10, and it makes serious mockery out of those wineries that charge $50 for their insipid California Pinot Noirs. This is without question a seriously great drinking wine at a remarkable value.

This Castle Rock Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir is a deep crimson red in the glass with slightly purplish edges and a nice fuchsia to pinkish red rim. It shows very high viscosity and intense density as well.

On the nose, it simply explodes with -- typical for California Pinot Noir, but not true to the actual grape varietal characteristic -- lavish concentrated black cherry, crushed brambleberry, elder flowers, minerals, wood and alcohol. On the palate, this full-bodied wine is extracted, but with a great balance of almost-sweetish black fruit, wild cherry, oak infused cherry liqueur, spicy black licorice and solid tannin concentration going into a long solid finish, which is very unusual of a California Pinot Noir, but a great characteristic for a quality wine.

I think this is an absolutely terrific wine and it is highly recommended for all people who want to show the California producers that quality for under $10 is definitely worth supporting. Drinks well right out of the bottle and should be tasty through 2005.

Wine: Castle Rock Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir 2000

Grape: Pinot Noir (100%)

Region: Sonoma Valley, California

Vintage: 2000

a relatively new negociant with an affinity for pinot.  i tried the '01 carneros.  i think there was a really good wine somewhere in the bottle, but had a lot of trouble finding it through the haze of sugar.

FWIW, I have not tried the Carneros bottling, but most reports I've read, and discussions with a few friends with palates I trust, put the RRV a notch or two above the Carneros.

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

Good pinot noir at this price range is hard to come by and the Castle Rock name keeps coming up. What's the story with this winery? Anybody know who the winemaker is and other details on this producer.

Craig, check out

www.castlerockwinery.com

for tons of info. Joe Briggs is the consulting winemaker. He's been making great small lot wines of his own for several years now.

The buyer for Oakville Grocery told me that they are buying some small amounts from VERY good vineyards and blending. Places like Olivet and Rochioli. I have also heard some rumors that not everyone is pleased with their prices.

Big surprise.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.