• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm going to England

kurl

Don't try - these people have no sense of humour, and with the current paranoia the chances of detection are high. You will meet strange new people and change your life, not for the better...

The detectors are especially sensitive to things with the radio opacity of typical explosives. Unfortunately that cheese and is most solid foods.

They are also sensitive to nitrate and nitrite residues - ham, bacon, preserved foods, but also almonds etc. A friend had a really hard time with a piece of wedding cake with marzipan icing.

They get excited about metal or radio opaque objects, not normal in luggage - tins or cans of stuff, or anything wrapped in foil.

On the hopeful side, I flew Heathrow to Dulles right after Christmas (when all those flights between the two airports were being cancelled due to terror threats) with two boxes of marzipan (one opened and half eaten, no less), a couple tins of tea, and various other sundries and had no problem - no one even questioned me about anything. Not sure what that says about security, though...

Just fill up a suitcase with Monster Munch, preferably the Pickled Onion flavor, and Hula Hoop crisps(potato chips)... seriously....really, I'm not kidding.

I think the potato chips and candy bars are the best reason to visit the UK. Then again I grew up there and candy and chips are my fondest memories of home...

Damn it, now I have the munchies.

Speaking from experience, declare everything. Last time we came back through Dulles, we had a two page list of food - everything from pickled walnuts to 20-year-old Laphroaig - and got through with no problems.

Generally when the customs/APHIS agents see that you're being thorough, as long as their sniffy-dog doesn't get upset about anything and the explosives/volatile organics detector doesn't go off they'll wave you through. The only thing we had to pull out and display was the Laphroaig, and that was more for the agent's curiosity than for inspection purposes. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

• 1 month later...

Well, thanks everyone -- my trip was totally fantastic. I spent almost all of my time in (mind-bogglingly beautiful) Cambridge, but I did make quick stop at Fortnum and Mason (thanks!), where I filled my remarkably small amount of free luggage space with unique-sounding teas (not Earl Grey!), preserves, mustards (!), chutneys, and honey. I only brought back a tiny amount of cheese, fearing that it would be seized (nothing was), and I'm looking forward to eating it soon.

I don't have a digital camera, so I have no jealousy-inducing pictures (sorry?).

Edited by kurl (log)

kurl

I have a definite answer for you. Neil's Yard cheeses, while being distributed all over the Staates, has a blue vein goat milk cheese that they don't export and that is equalled by no other cheese of that genre. Can't think of the name, unfortunately, but last time I was in London I took one piece of that cheese (about 2 pound) and, at that time, with the BSE crisis and what, I had to literally smuggle it through customs. Besides, the shop is really worth seeking out. I think it was in Covent garden and you should be able to smell your way from the tube station onwards... (hint: first, take a left)

Enjoy!

Kurl,

I can't agree with Pumpernickel enough -- GO to Neal's Yard Dairy shop in Covent Gardens -- it's on Neal Street. If they have it, bring back a boatload of "Baby Waterloo". It's not available all the time-- the cheese maker's schedule is erratic and the demand is high -- and you will be a hero to the people you serve back home. For all cheeses, just be sure to tell them you're flying back to the States so they give you some that need a little more aging.

You can pack them in ziplock bags in between your clothes in your checked baggage. Trust me -- they will do fine as I have done this scores of times. As for U.S. Customs, don't worry, cheese is allowed as long as it's pasteurized. You can always play dumb if they inspect your bags and ask you. Last year, I got pulled aside for an inspection because a customs beagle smelled the cheese in my bag/ All they did was ask what I had and I told them cheese from the U.K. and would they like to see it? The answer was, "No thank you... have a nice day."

Have a good trip.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

I know this is late but; when u return to Great Britain, one of my favorite travel destinations bring back a couple of bottles of Lea and Perrins Worchetshire (spelling). I read somewhere that the recipe is somewhat different than the type sold in the states. I found that the Lea & Perrins from London was more intense than the stateside stuff and just in general better.

Speaking from experience, declare everything. Last time we came back through Dulles, we had a two page list of food - everything from pickled walnuts to 20-year-old Laphroaig - and got through with no problems.

Yeah, that's what I've always done. In fact, several times with questionable-looking bottles of home-made liquor. (Apple brandy, wines and amaretto) and tons of marzipan, packaged. In fact, pointedly asked the customs guy if it would be a problem -- never was.

Have never tried to bring in meat or dairy though.

What is the alcohol allowance these days, anyway? I can look it up but if someone knows off the top of their head.

Oh, when in England I always have to bring back lion bars and HP sauce for my dad.

Personally I always bring back as many boxes of Marks and Spenser's Red Label tea bags as I can fit in my suitcase. But thats an addiction.

The good thing about Neal's Yard is that they will be able to tell you what is legal to take into the US. They sell mini-wheels of some of their cheeses, which travel with ease.

Something which I enjoy and can't find in the US is Gentleman's Relish, a anchovy/butter mixture favored by British officers as a hardship ration (it's spread thinly on toast, or in a pinch, grilled mice) :smile:.

Seriously, though, good on toast.

Wood's 100 proof Navy Rum (available at Heathrow, but not in the US) makes a fine grog. Plymouth Gin at 100 proof is not available in the US, and is unusual (in that it's 100 proof).