• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angelo & Maxie's

StInGeR

Last night my wife and cruised into Manhattan from NJ to meet up with friends at Angelo and Maxie's. Unfortunately the restaurant on midtown is now closed so it had to be Park and 19th. We started in the bar which was noisy but a fun atmosphere and we cannot complain about the drinks at all. Two of us had "dirty" martinis, my wife had a raspberry stoli and coke and there was one club soda (nobody can screw up a club soda :biggrin: ). The drinks were well made and the "dirtys" had just the right amount of olive juice and olves without making them "heartburn" in a glass. We then moved into the retaurant, sat down, perused the menu's and talked BS before ordering. For appetizers we ordered baked clams, a fried calamari and the carpaccio with arugals and shaved parmesan. While everything was good, especially the carpaccio- I felt the clams and calamari were a little on the oily side, but in the same breathe you don't goto a steakhouse for a health kick :biggrin:. Entrees were ordered and out guests ordered the shrimp scampi and a special of chilean sea bass, both were reported to be very, very good. My wife ordered the burger which seems to be a reguler occurence for her at A&M, while I got the fillet mignon with an absolutely gorgeous bernaise sauce. I of course ordered rare and the steak was perfect, but oh god that bernaise :biggrin: Sides ordered were "just" garlic mashed potatoes... this was another really good choice. I finished the evening with a 10 year old port which was the perfect end to a great night. For a romantic evening A&M definitely isn't it... it's loud and full on but for a fun night with very good friends it's a very good option. The final check was $208 for the four of us not including tip ($250) and considering the quantity and quality of food and drinks I thought it was quite good value.

Cheers

Tom

PS Being Australian was that enough of a tip??

I want food and I want it now

The final check was $208 for the four of us not including tip ($250) and considering the quantity and quality of food and drinks I thought it was quite good value.

Cheers

Tom

PS Being Australian was that enough of a tip??

Sounds like you doubled the tax and your tip was appropriate. We New Yorkers frequently double the tax and round up, plus extra for particularly good service, long occupation of a table, etc.

Thanks for posting the review.

Michael aka "Pan"

Leaving $250 on a $208 check is approximately a 20% tip on the whole bill, isn't it?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yeah, you're right. A generous tip. Well, I always got good grades in Math but it was never a forte of mine...

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

That would be a very good tip as most people I believe would feel that 20% before tax is a very good tip. Yours seems to have been on the full dinner plus tax at approximately 20%. I believe they would likely welcome you back so long as your behavior wasn't such that the tip would have been hardly worth it for the servers. There weren't any broken chairs or china, or other patrons avoiding you, were there? :raz: Seriously, that is morre than you need to give to be appreciated, although I am sure you were appreciated all the more for it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

For some reason, A&M doesn't get the respect of other steakhouses in Manhattan. Perhaps it's the overly boisterous, generally young-ish, often B&T tacky crowd. But I've always had excellent steaks there.

For some reason, A&M doesn't get the respect of other steakhouses in Manhattan. Perhaps it's the overly boisterous, generally young-ish, often B&T tacky crowd. But I've always had excellent steaks there.

I agree.. it is a really loud and boisterous place but the food was good. I forgot to mention the service. That was very good, the waitress really knew her stuff and could answer ANY question we threw at her plus she was smiling. The smiling may seem like a miniscule thing but the number I've been served by someone who doesn't seemm to want to be there (at various restaurants) is too many to count and that can definitely sour a good night out

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now