• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras importation

I don't know anything about a new regulation, but I just came into the country after telling a bored customs agent I had a couple cans of "pate" and he let me in. :rolleyes: I usually call it pate just because I'm too lazy to explain what foie gras is and I pronouce it badly as well.

am I going to hell? I also had some cheese, sous vide.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

We bring it into Houston....as long as it's sealed, it's never been a problem for us.

As long as it's in sealed jars or cans, we have not had a problem in the past either, but there have been some recent changes in the laws about importation of processed meats and this is why Margaret is asking about the current situation. There is a thread about this on eGullet and as far as I know, it is currently illegal to import any processed meat from France. The issue here is whether this ban affects travelers or just commercial importers

No more French Foie Gras, U.S. Halts all Processed Meat Imports is the thread with the relevant discussion. Unfortunately the link to the page with the news item no longer seems to work. My comments in that thread with a quote from the news report were:

The suspension affects imports of "all French processed meat and poultry products, including cold cuts and delicacies like foie gras." "The measure concerns only processed products, not ordinary cuts of beef, pork or poultry" That would seem to indicate that pate de foie gras is banned, but not fresh foie gras from France.

Fresh foie gras is very perishable and I assume no one is carrying that on board with their luggage. I'd be careful about carrying any more foie gras than I'd care to eat at the airport on the other side of the APHIS inspectors.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's my understanding, and I could easily be wrong, that importation of meat products by returning travelers has been banned for quite a while. This is from the USDA's Travelers Tips dated January 2003: "Meat and Animal Products: Fresh, dried, or canned meats and meat products are prohibited entry into the United States from most foreign countries, because of the continuing threat of foot-and-mouth disease. If meat is used in preparing a product, it is also usually prohibited."

It's also worth noting that the fine for a FIRST-TIME offender is $1,000. Boohoo is right, cigalechanta -- no more cassoulet, rillettes, foie gras.......

At least not in our hand luggage any longer, but we raise our own foie gras in the U.S. and the rest of that can be, and often is, made here. For sure it's not available as universally as in France, or always at the highest quality, but we can change that.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's my understanding, and I could easily be wrong, that importation of meat products by returning travelers has been banned for quite a while. This is from the USDA's Travelers Tips dated January 2003: "Meat and Animal Products: Fresh, dried, or canned meats and meat products are prohibited entry into the United States from most foreign countries, because of the continuing threat of foot-and-mouth disease. If meat is used in preparing a product, it is also usually prohibited."

Are chicken, duck, and turkey "meat" by this definition? Last summer I drove across the Vermont-Quebec border, scarfing down a turkey sandwich just before crossing. Once at the border I asked US customs if the turkey would have been banned. He said that turkey was fine. Beef was another matter. In November I then brought some smoked venison into Boston and asked if I could bring that. No, it was confiscated. No big deal.

A few weeks ago I was driving from Quebec into Vermont. No beef or other ruminants, but I had a lot of confit of duck, turkey, and guinea fowl, also a good deal of cheese and yogurt, as well as cider. No questions at all about food. All they wanted to know is if I had liquor or tobacco.

Commercially canned meat is allowed if the inspector can determine from the label that the meat was cooked in the can after it was sealed to make it shelf-stable without refrigeration.

This is off the APHIS site that we have talked about often here in the past; So as far as the canned Rillettes, terrines, and the bloc de foie gras, I'm not sure if they do or do not pass muster. but I have brought those items back many times. Anybody know if these canned offal items pass these APHIS guidelines?

Menton1, could you please provide a link to that? I would like to copy it to take with us on our upcoming trip. Thanks.

Answered my own question. For those who would like to arm themselves with the appropriate info, here's the link to the APHIS document, which is also dated January 2003.

Edited by ann (log)