• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG FoodBlog: Jensen

Jensen

I have to ask: which is more impressive ... the Mariachi band or the nakedness?

Aw, most of us are naked most of the time over here - but you'd sooner see the Loch Ness Monster than a Mariachi band. :smile:

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Aw, most of us are naked most of the time over here -

Yes, I know. I saw Braveheart, you know. :wink:

but you'd sooner see the Loch Ness Monster than a Mariachi band. :smile:

Oddly enough, I actually had tea with the fellow who heads the Loch Ness Project in 1995. My dad and I were visiting the family in Orkney and, on the way back down to Glasgow, spent the night in Drumnadrochit. Apparently, my dad had been corresponding with this fellow (Adrian somebody?) via email so we stopped in to say hello and have a little visit with him and his wife.

Other than that, my only distinct memories of my time there was buying the Spawn a little t-shirt that said "I'm a little monster" on it and walking into the village and having pizza for dinner. Oh, I also recall how uncomfortable the bed in the lodge was. :hmmm:

I should also tell you that I can't wait to try your pasta recipe for a filled pasta too. I loved the look of your ravioli. I've got a ravioli mold thingie but I really liked how your filled pastas looked. Wunderschön!

I keep seeing those ice-cube tray ravioli molds, and - well - they just don't do it for me. I think it's more fun to give them a little character. Good luck though, and take pictures.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Okay, it looks like it might get warm today so I've started the oven early. I reckon I can just warm up the meat for the filling in the micro-nuker.

So, breakfast ... no surprise here: my two cups of coffee.

I've got some beans "soaking" on the stove at the moment. I don't have any black beans so I'm using some Rio Zappe beans I bought at the market. I've used these before and they do retain a dark colour when cooked.

I also made some cooked salsa as directed by Jaymes in a past thread about Mexican food. I forgot to buy garlic salt though and I had to use the very thing that was strictly prohibited: California Garlic Granules. If it is anything less than perfect, I will know where the problem lies though, won't I?

On to the pork!

Here is one piece, prior to wrapping:

i4814.jpg

And both pieces, wrapped, tied, and stuffed into a baking dish:

i4815.jpg

I forgot to oil the banana leaves so I hope that doesn't screw things up. If it does, I'm sure Wayde and the Spawn will just go out for dinner. :biggrin:

We're not eating together tonight as I've been invited to attend a dance thingie at the Mondavi Centre in Davis tonight. I imagine I'll be leaving while K. is at aikido.

Lunch was pretty quick and simple...leftover mashed from last night, topped with a fried egg:

i4816.jpg

Getting out the HP reminded me that I will have to make a shopping list for foodstuffs to buy while I'm at home this weekend. I'm sure the Spawn will have a list of candies a mile long (Smarties, Aero bar, Crunchie bar, Mackintosh toffee...).

I've checked my cupboards; my stock of HP is fine, as is my custard powder and Silver Shred. I did use the last of my golden syrup though so I guess I'll have to get some of that.

I think tomorrow I will take you all to yoga with me. There is a nice little bistro in the village (coincidentally called "The Village Bistro") that has really nice salads. That'd be just the thing for lunch, I think. Plus, I can take pictures of the packs of feral chickens that roam the village (and, if "feral chickens" aren't two words you never thought you'd ever hear together, I don't know what are!).

Just because I have nothing better to do (well, I suppose I could do housework but that's hardly better), I went and took some pictures in the garden. Nothing is ripe yet (of course) ...

The figs:

i4823.jpg

These ones will be yellow. There is another tree behind this one that bears Mission figs. When they're ripe, we have to fence them off or Dayton will eat as many as he can reach. I've even seen him chew a leaf off, in order to get to the fig behind it.

A peach:

i4824.jpg

Almonds:

i4822.jpg

Rogie, enjoying a green almond:

i4825.jpg

All the dogs love the green almonds. The squirrels end up getting them all and the dogs clean up what they drop on the lawn.

Beautiful! You're very lucky to have all that growing in the back garden.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Beautiful! You're very lucky to have all that growing in the back garden.

Yes, we are! The landlord was a bit of a gardener when he lived here; I think he said the fruit trees are all from cuttings he took from trees that he knew had particularly delicious fruit.

Okay, I just took the pork out of the oven and yes, I sampled it. It is soooooo good. Now I can't wait for dinner!

Here is the baking dish, just out of the oven:

i4826.jpg

The first unveiling:

i4827.jpg

Another lump of pork gets naked:

i4828.jpg

After shredding with two forks:

i4829.jpg

In the bowl, waiting to be eaten:

i4830.jpg

I think I could just sit down and eat that entire bowlful!

The pork has a sort of "dusky" flavour...not really smoky but almost. I think that's from the banana leaves. While it was cooking, it smelled quite a bit like nor my gai (the dim sum dish). Wayde came home midway through the cooking and asked if I was roasting squash.

At any rate, I'm going to eat it in a taco for dinner. Will post more pictures then.

Yum...the pork looks meltingly juicy and tender!  :smile:

It was très yummy:

i4839.jpg

Needed a little salt though (and I should have put more of Jaymes' salsa on it ... even with the dreaded garlic granules, it is INCREDIBLE!).

On the downside, I am having some sort of reaction/vascular response to the pork, probably from the seasoning. A migraine is imminent. I will take some meds and it will stop but this means I can't make this again. :sad:

What form of yoga do you practice? I used to do Bikram's and I loved it, but I haven't had time to go in months!

I've only heard it referred to as "Hatha Yoga". I'm loving it, whatever type it is!

Oh thos tacos... mmmmm. I'm thinkinig of trying to make some Dominican style roast pork soon and you've given me some great ideas. At times I think it would be great to have someone else here to cook for on a more regular basis and then there are days like today where I get up and relish the privacy and solitude of having my own space. Hopefully I have not become incorrigibly bachelorized but some signs are appearing here and there.

Just curious - do you grow any fresh herbs and how long is your growing season?

Wow Jen, that looks scrumptious! May I come to your house for dinner? :biggrin:

It is so much easier to get motivated for real cooking when there is someone to share it (besides the very willing and ever present pup). And, of course, I envy you the "free time" your enforced retirement has resulted in.

By the time I finally got home last night I had no energy for cooking at all and ended up making just an omelet with extra sharp cheddar and jalapenos, served with a generous helping of red, of course. I would have loved walking into a house full of the aromas your place must have had!!

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Yes... the food really is looking sooooo good.

I envy you the "free time" your enforced retirement has resulted in.

It's actually the retired whippets that I envy.... not only a dog's life but retirement in sunny California with a doting, food oriented owner. Sounds good to me.

I'm just now back from yoga. I decided not to take my camera, as I've strained a muscle in my shoulder and didn't want to carry it there and back.

Pan: No, MSG does not give me headaches. I have very few food-related triggers; in fact, the only one I can think of is actually alcoholic--some liquors will give me a migraine. My biggest trigger is getting overheated.

Owen: the only herb I grow is comfrey and that is for medicinal purposes (touch wood that I never need it). It was recommended to me by many people as a poultice material when Streaka broke her leg. However,at that time, I learned that it is illegal to sell comfrey in California, due to side effects if taken internally. So now I grow it and, if I ever do need it again, I'll have access to it.

As for smaller portions of pulled pork products, I've cooked up a bunch of carnitas before, vacuum-sealed it, frozen it, and then reheated it by dry frying it. It tasted the same as when it was first cooked.

Cynthia ... of course you can come for dinner! I would have loved the company last night. As I was going to that show at UC Davis, I ate by myself and then Wayde and Kathleen ate later on in the evening. As we are one of those families that does sit down to the table every night, it felt pretty odd to be there at dinnertime by myself.

Retirement gets pretty old after a while (like a month or two... :blink: ), especially if you have a busy mind. Streaka doesn't mind retirement but I think Tighe would rather still be an active racer. He can still race if the surface is soft enough though so he doesn't have to sit things out entirely.

It is a dog's life though (and Rogie hasn't even started his career yet!):

i4858.jpg

And on to food ...

Breakfast this morning was some granola with yogurt and one cup of coffee. Accckkk! I'm getting predictable! :raz:

After yoga, I did go to the Village Bistro and had a portabella and eggplant sandwich (grilled portabella, grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, provolone cheese, and arugula with garlic aioli--did I spell that right?--on a sourdough bun). It was served with mixed greens and a balsamic vinaigrette.

I just drank water with it.

Lunch sounds great too.

Next time your family is leaving you on your own for dinner, you just give me a call and I'll fly in, Jen!

My paternal grandmother was a wise woman in the northern Appalachians ... comfrey is an awesomely powerful herb. But good grief, California regulates everything to death! :shock: It's not any more harmful if ingested than say... bleach and they still sell that there, right?

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

All-righty then!

Dinner at Xian's was fab, as usual. I didn't take a picture of everything we ate but, enough to give everyone the general idea ...

This is Kathleen's "signature" roll...cucumber and tempura zucchini in a soy wrapper, topped with avocado and various sauces

i4911.jpg

Kim, our friend, ordered some hot sake and Xian gave her some marinated octopus to go with it:

i4912.jpg

Mike and I each had an oyster shooter:

i4913.jpg

Kim's first roll, "I'm on a Roll" ... spicy tuna, deep-fried shrimp, and snow crab inside, seared tuna, ebi, and avocado on top:

i4914.jpg

Kim and I shared the "scallop thingie" ... little balls of rice topped with a scallop, split and seared, guacamole, and jalapenos (and tobiko and green onions):

i4915.jpg

One of Wayde's custom rolls...crab and shrimp in a soy wrapper and then the whole thing is dipped in tempura batter and fried:

i4916.jpg

And the man himself:

i4917.jpg

Tomorrow, it's off to the Island ... woo-hoo!!!!

Jen,

I'm just now getting a chance to read your blog (I was traveling in AZ too :smile:) and it's absolutely wonderful. I love your pictures and I am mining your posts for all the the outstanding recipe/menu ideas you've shared.

What a cool thing about your landlord and the cuttings! I can honestly say that your meyer lemons have changed some lives--and caused a few arguments--around here. :biggrin: They are superior to the other meyers I've ever had...which, I will admit, is not a very large group :wink:. Hopped up on the goods you'd sent, I suggested to a friend of mine who works in the citrus industry, that his company should focus on planting and marketing meyer lemons. He looked at me like a deer in headlights. Meyer lemons could change the world! He just didn't get it. :biggrin:

Thanks again for the great blog. It's been a pleasure to read and view. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Well, I could say that I had trouble accessing the site from the spa but that would be a lie ... I was just having such a good time that I didn't even go looking for the Internet access.

I'll update this with Friday and Saturday meals but the pictures will have to wait until I'm home again.

Friday breakfast was just coffee...much too excited to think about eating. I had a two hour layover in Seattle so, once I'd found my way to the other terminal, I decided to eat there. My connecting flight was in the South Satellite terminal and the options were somewhat limited ... fast food or a deli sandwich in the bar. I went for the sandwich: corned beef on rye. The bread was great and the sandwich as a whole was very fresh. Unfortunately, it was way too salty for me; I only ate half of it.

My sisters picked me up at the airport in Victoria and we headed up Island to Tigh-na-Mara, arriving there at around 5:00. To tide us over until our dinner reservations, we had a selection of cheeses with crackers and fresh fruit. We also did some wine tasting. The Chilean chardonnay beat the California one by a mile! No comparison ...

At 7:30, we headed over to the restaurant for dinner. I ordered off the fresh sheet: baked Fanny Bay oysters with pancetta and raclette cheese as an appetizer and wild sockeye salmon covered with fresh herbs and topped with a garlic herb butter. Linda had the pepper steak and Sharon ordered the nightly special: macadamia nut-crusted mahi mahi served with a cilantro lime butter sauce.

Every dish was outstanding! Unbelievable to have that sort of quality of flavour all across the menu!

Between the 3 of us, we shared two desserts: Grand Marnier creme caramel and a falling chocolate cake. Yummy!

Saturday breakfast took place after a long walk on the beach. We ate eggs Benedict and fresh fruit. (Yummmmmm!) The rest of the morning was spent exploring nearby communities, which included a trip to French Creek Marina to buy the fish for that night's dinner. Back at the cottage, we had a late lunch of cheese fondue (dipping bread, grapes, and apple slices). Then it was over to the spa for our appointments!

My sisters were just doing the mineral pool but I had a facial booked. As part of that package, I could have had a snack in the lounge. There were muffins and fresh fruit available; I wasn't hungry though so passed on that.

Back at the cottage, Linda pan-fried some more oysters (I really love the oysters from the Island...can you tell?) in butter, deglazed the pan with some white wine, topped the oysters with some grated cheese and broiled them for a few minutes.

Heaven!

The "official" dinner started later with salad at 8:00. The salad was composed of baby greens tossed in a mustard vinaigrette and topped with a roasted pear half, crumbled Danish blue cheese and toasted walnuts.

The entree was halibut fillet wrapped in paper-thin proscuitto and topped with a lemon caper sauce. Served with rice pilaf and seasonal vegetables.

Dessert was chocolate caramel pecan cheesecake. We warmed up some of the chocolate stuff I'd bought at Venezio winery and had that with the cheesecake. Oh, and some of the port... :biggrin:

So that was my week! I'll post pictures of the food when I get home.

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments ... it's been a lot of fun!

cheers,

jen