• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: phaelon56

I've already PM'd Jen and mentioned I'd be more than happy to follow after Mayhaw as that would include meals in Manhattan as well as through out NJ, and won't coincide with any flights anywhere :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

:blink:

Good Day, I am one of Phaelon's compatriots on the Syracuse Dining Club. Just to let you know all of us had a great time the other night and not all of us have opted out of getting involved in this forum.

Name's rokinrev (aka Andrea) a minister at large in the Syracuse area, somewhat reponsible on some levels for the dining club as I got personally based on the food forum we were almost all on.

Background: 1977 graduate Miss (fanny) Farmer's Cooking School (since closed after 75 years as the oldest cooking school in America), a stint as a sous chef in a seafood resturant and as cook in a private boy's school in RI, BSW and MTS as well as M.Div and ordained in 1989 in the UCC where I am now an interim for the Central NY area. Based out of Syraucse where I "met" Owen online about a year back.

And, btw, it was OUR house he was at for the Chinese meal.

Edited by rokinrev (log)

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~

Welcome, rokinrev. Hope you stay around to enjoy eGullet. :biggrin:

There are people in Syracuse who would disagree there...think I'm a bit of a pain :shock:

Glad to be around, may even join a couple of other forums. :laugh:

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

Welcome, rokinrev.  Hope you stay around to enjoy eGullet.  :biggrin:

There are people in Syracuse who would disagree there...think I'm a bit of a pain :shock:

Glad to be around, may even join a couple of other forums. :laugh:

Well actually, Andrea... you'e now officially in all of them so post away!

If you're referring to the dining forums at syracuse.com..... it's a blessing to have another place to go and we're in it!

Due to copyright issue I can't publish the contents of the recipe that Rebekah used for the lamb dish (and its vegetarian compatriot). I can advise that it was a NY Times Robert Bittman recipe and he printed it as a way to use green bell peppers in place of bitter melon. It included salted black beans plus the other usual suspects - sherry or wine, garlic, chopped scallions, etc. Both versions - the lamb and the vegetarian one with bamboo shoots added - were delicious.

however, it is available via search in the Times archives . Just type Bitter Melon in the engine. It's probably available in other places too...like a northern chinese recipe book

Edited by rokinrev (log)

The Times archives is charging $2.95 for it but if anyone has an interest just PM me and I'll send a paraphrased version. I guess a standard bitter melon and lamb recipe would work with the green peppers substituted, right?