• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

3 hours ago, Jurjen said:

Thanks for the help, I guess I've just been too impatient, luckily it has been going pretty well. I've had a few close calls though. Currently I'm using a few different callebaut chocolates 811 (54%), origine Ghanna (40%), and Origine Saint Domingue (70%) with a CW 1521 mold. As @Jim D. said my cream to chocolate ratio might be too high, I was using Kirsten Tibballs lemon drop recipe as a base. Would a 66:33 ratio be better to use if I make it right before filling my chocolates (waiting till it's lower than 83 degrees of course)?

Thanks to @Jim D. as well of course.

I just watched the Lemon Drop video.  Indeed the ganache ratio is approximately 1:1. And who am I to question Kirsten Tibballs?  All I can say is that she uses milk chocolate, which is more viscous than dark, and shes doe comment that the ganache is quite fluid, but still I am surprised it sets. She does say that she let it sit overnight before sealing the chocolates. This goes to prove, I suppose, that everyone breaks the rules at some point in the chocolate world. If, however, when you wrote "the ganache tries to squeeze out while capping," you meant that some ganache came out of the shell, then the shell is too full and/or the ganache is too fluid. 

Jim D.

Jim D.

58 minutes ago, Jurjen said:

Thanks for the help, I guess I've just been too impatient, luckily it has been going pretty well. I've had a few close calls though. Currently I'm using a few different callebaut chocolates 811 (54%), origine Ghanna (40%), and Origine Saint Domingue (70%) with a CW 1521 mold. As @Jim D. said my cream to chocolate ratio might be too high, I was using Kirsten Tibballs lemon drop recipe as a base. Would a 66:33 ratio be better to use if I make it right before filling my chocolates (waiting till it's lower than 83 degrees of course)?

Thanks to @Jim D. as well of course.

I just watched the Lemon Drop video.  Indeed the ganache ratio is approximately 1:1. And who am I to question Kirsten Tibballs?  All I can say is that she uses milk chocolate, which is more viscous than dark, and shes does comment that the ganache is quite fluid, but still I am surprised it sets. She does say that she let it sit overnight before sealing the chocolates. This goes to prove, I suppose, that everyone breaks the rules at some point in the chocolate world. If, however, when you wrote "the ganache tries to squeeze out while capping," you meant that some ganache came out of the shell, then the shell is too full and/or the ganache is too fluid.