• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Iron

bx23$qa

This being more or less the season of bock beer festivals, does anybody know where to find a beer poker, like that one used here: http://www.globaltony.com/loggerhead/asb.shtml. I once saw Julia Child using a buffalo iron to keep pasta water hot, and it looked like it might be very useful to poke beer, but I've been unsuccessful in finding one. Regarding the poker at the Schell's fest, people I've called at the brewery have no clue how it was obtained. As it is, I've been using big fat iron screws from the Home Despot, but it doesn't keep the heat like the pokers! Any suggestions?

Who did you talk to at the brewery? The owner, president, whatever, Ted Marti, I talked to him about three years ago about this for an article, and he knew what I was talking about. Bust through to Ted and he'll know. Good luck, it's a cool thing.

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.