• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

immediately discard the plastic bag (or box, if you use that instead) into which you collected the tunas,

also, never set down the collection bag or box anywhere near the plant.  The glochids are also on the ground around the plant and will ride along on the bottom of the bag/box.   You will hold the bag/box by the bottom and grab glochids.   Ask me how I know, LOL.   Also a good practice to wash the bottoms of the shoes you wore to collect before entering a living space, to avoid future barefoot surprises.

Prickly pear is not designed to make harvest and consuming easy for humans.

edit, I am related to someone not local who decided on a hike to try "these desert pears" growing out there.   Apparently picking glochids out of your tongue is a memorable experience.

If you do get them in your finger, Preparation H will ease the skin inflammation around the glochid and help it out faster.   Who knew Prep H was so versatile.   Every serious mountain biker in the area carries some due to run-ins with cholla and all other spiky things.

lemniscate

lemniscate

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

immediately discard the plastic bag (or box, if you use that instead) into which you collected the tunas,

also, never sent down the collection bag or box anywhere near the plant.  The glochids are also on the ground around the plant and will ride along on the bottom of the bag/box.   You will hold the bag/box by the bottom and grab glochids.   Ask me how I know, LOL.   Also a good practice to wash the bottoms of the shoes you wore to collect before entering a living space, to avoid future barefoot surprises.

edit, I am related to someone not local who decided on a hike to try "these desert pears" growing out there.   Apparently picking glochids out of your tongue is a memorable experience.

If you do get them in your finger, Preparation H will ease the skin inflammation around the glochid and help it out faster.   Who knew Prep H was so versatile.   Every serious mountain biker in the area carries some due to run-ins with cholla and all other spiky things.

lemniscate

lemniscate

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

also, never sent down the collection bag or box anywhere near the plant.  The glochids are also on the ground around the plant and will ride along on the bottom of the bag/box.   You will hold the bag/box by the bottom and grab glochids.   Ask me how I know, LOL.   Also a good practice to wash the bottoms of the shoes you wore to collect before entering a living space, to avoid future barefoot surprises.

edit, I am related to someone not local who decided on a hike to try "these desert pears" growing out there.   Apparently picking glochids out of you tongue is a memorable experience.

lemniscate

lemniscate

1 hour ago, Smithy said: