• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

59 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One of the crabapple trees a mile or so down the road produces delightfully tart-sweet, crunchy fruit every 2 or 3 years. This year its crop was especially good. I came back from a walk or two with a couple of quarts' worth. The only problem with them is that they're labor-intensive to get the seeds out...and I'm not a fan of applesauce so they can be cooked down without coring.

They'll be going into litle hand pastries, I think.

What about a hand food mill?  That's what I use for apple sauce.  I don't peel them or core them...just cook them and then into the mill.  

ps.  We have no apples this year.  Two years ago the harvest was so heavy that a branch actually broke right off our Macintosh tree.

Darienne

Darienne

58 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One of the crabapple trees a mile or so down the road produces delightfully tart-sweet, crunchy fruit every 2 or 3 years. This year its crop was especially good. I came back from a walk or two with a couple of quarts' worth. The only problem with them is that they're labor-intensive to get the seeds out...and I'm not a fan of applesauce so they can be cooked down without coring.

They'll be going into litle hand pastries, I think.

What about a hand food mill?  That's what I use for apple sauce.  I don't peel them or core them...just cook them and then into the mill.