• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Putnam restaurants

Liz Johnson

I'm writing the round-up of restaurants for the Journal News' annual issue of Putnam: Living Here.

Any new restaurants I should know about or old ones that I've overlooked? Here is a link to the story I wrote last year.

I will of course give credit where due.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Yup. Know about that one. Are you a fan of the food or just the architecture?

:smile: I went to school in Poughkeepsie, in an area which in my opinion lacked a competent Indian restaurant, and planned every weekend of my senior year to make the trip to Jaipore. But I never did.

How's the food? The menu looks very interesting. The architecture, too.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I wish I could help, but that is too far south (but not south enough) for me to know enough about. I didn't even know that Xavier's had closed!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

How's the food? The menu looks very interesting.

I actually haven't been there, so I couldn't say. It's on my list, though.... as so many are. I could eat out every night and still not get to all the restaurants I need to in Rockland, Westchester and Putnam.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz, I love the place on the water in the photo of your article.  Is that Flanagan's on Lake Mahopac or some other place?  (Love places on the water!)

That is indeed Flanagan's. 156 E. Lake Boulevard, Lake Mahopac. 845-628-9394. But no one answered when I called, so they might not yet be open for the season.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz, I love the place on the water in the photo of your article.  Is that Flanagan's on Lake Mahopac or some other place?  (Love places on the water!)

That is indeed Flanagan's. 156 E. Lake Boulevard, Lake Mahopac. 845-628-9394. But no one answered when I called, so they might not yet be open for the season.

When confirming these restaurants for this year's piece, I learned that Flanagan's is now known as JP Cunningham’s. They've remodeled, too.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I have never been there, but I happened to be looking through Hudson Valley magazine and Bill Brown's Restaurant in Garrison seems to be the only one listed in Putnam not mentioned in your article.

FYI, on a side note, my wife and I went to Marco for Valentine's Day and the food was excellent... but the service was not good. I have since been told by others who live in Putnam County that this is par for the course at Marco, unfortunate because the food truly was excellent. We will probably give it another go some night, but if the service is similar to the last time, we will not be returning.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

That's too bad about Marco.

Last I checked, Bill Brown's was closed for renovations. But I'll check again -- thanks for the tip!

Edit to add:

Bill Brown's is supposed re-open in April as Valley at the Garrison. Chef Jeffrey Raider, formerly chef de cuisine at Sea Grill, and design by Tony Chi, who most recently did Asiate.

I'll report more thoroughly in the JN when it actually opens.

Thanks for reminding me, mikeycook!

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

My wife and I just recently moved to Putnam County (Carmel), so your last article was very helpful in learning about area restaurants. We appreciate it. :biggrin:

We have also gotten good input from the folks at Kitch 'n' Kaffe in Mahopac (including a recommendation for Stoneleigh Creek Restaurant, which we will probably try next).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 11 months later...

I can't believe it's been another year. But it has. And that means another round-up of Putnam restaurants.

The new ones I know about since last year's piece — here's a link to the story on restaurants in Putnam — are Moonstone on Long Pond in Mahopac and Tavern at Highland's Country Club in Garrison.

Any others?

Thanks!

Liz

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.