• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Filipino Restaurant

jschyun

Lately, I've been interested in the Filipino places, after reading about someone who wanted to find a good Filipino restaurant in Irvine. I've expanded my search to all of CA.

Does anybody know of a really great place in CA? Is CA the place to be in the U.S. for Filipino food?

Thanks.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Thanks FoodZealot! I'll check them out.

Dunno the places in Daly City, actually, but I know there is a large population of Filipino pps there. I was going to ask someone I know who lives there, where he would go, but the Filipino people I know seem to cook everything at home. I've had fantastic lumpia in the past, but it was homemade. Ditto for pretty much every other Filipino dish I've had, which is not that much actually.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

One city comes to mind when one think of Filipino food....Carson! Carson has a HUGE Filipino population and a million places to eat, from nice to hole in the walls. There is a Filipino place that everyone talks about in Hawthorne called Rice Toppers. I ate there once and it was pretty good, but I am not really into Filipino food so I stuck with a beef dish and some tasty Lumpia!...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Ha ha...I think that was me that asked about Filipino restaurants in Irvine. My cousin lives in Irvine and he has to travel quite a distance to find any decent Filipino food. He usually ends up going to Carson...Manila's Lechon Manok, I think. Really good food. We usually go out for Filipino food together, twice a month or so.

Glendale has a bunch of restaurants, but there are only two that we go to with any regularity: Barrio Fiesta and Max's of Manila. I like them both. IMHO Barrio Fiesta is good for the stews...awesome kare-kare and sinigang etc...and Max's is good for the fried stuff, esp. the chicken. That chicken rules. And don't forget the chicken chicharrones at Max's either.

We often talk about how one day we'll sneak some Max's chicken and chicharrones into Barrio Fiesta so we can have them with the kare-kare, which we suspect would be a devastatingly good combination.

Anyway, those three restaurants are the best I've had yet.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

In the Bay Area it's hit or miss. I sometimes go to Goldilocks in Daly City. Cafeteria-style turo-turo. If the cook gets it right that day you can have a good dinuguan or laing. I also go to Max's in South SF. Decent atmosphere, sit-down restaurant style. Fried chicken is good as ever.

I wish Romy at Cendrillon would open a branch here.

Alex

I've heard there are some in the San Diego area, but unsure of where.

National City has a HUGE Filipino population - I go to this place in a strip mall on Plaza Blvd. off the 805. Also there is a Jollibee on Plaza - Filipino fast food chain.

Now y'all have got me craving karekare when I'm sick. Damn you.