• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Tour Driver (s) Needed!

Rich Pawlak

Every year for the past 7 years, I've hosted a Beer Tour of Philadelphia, as part of the city's annual Kitchen -Aid The Book and The Cook festival (see here for details), and have engaged 2 friends to help drive the 15-passenger vans we use to transport everyone. This year, one of my drivers is unable to drive, and I am in need of a driver.

It is a thankless job, especially if you like beer, because we 3 drivers abstain from imbibing, for obvious reasons, during the 9-hour Tours, but we do get to enjoy the fabulous food prepared at every stop, as well as the company of truly delightful beer lovers from all across the country.

If interested or willing, please let me know via IM, and I will discuss details.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Fly me to Philly, and I'll do it...  :biggrin:

These Tours aren't really money-making ventures (well, they surely haven't been...), so the transportation budget is a little bare. :wink:

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 3 weeks later...

As I salivate in anticipation of next Saturday's adventure, I'm reminded of feeling sorry for Rich and the his two drivers during most of last year's trip.

When we got to dinner, however, and most of us didn't really need (or want) to eat or drink anymore, that first glass had to be one of the best damn beers those three guys ever tasted.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Holy Moley, no one?

We really DO cherish our beer drinking, dont we? I know it kills me to watch from a distance.

I wouldn't mind, Rich, but it's just a matter of timing--I'm probably going to be volunteering for beer day at the Penn Museum on the 20th, and I'm going to be occupied this weekend doing something else.

Holy Moley, no one?

We really DO cherish our beer drinking, dont we?  I know it kills me to watch from a distance.

I wouldn't mind, Rich, but it's just a matter of timing--I'm probably going to be volunteering for beer day at the Penn Museum on the 20th, and I'm going to be occupied this weekend doing something else.

Thanks for offering Jimbo, but fortunately, Chris Holst, whom many of us know from DDC and Pizza Club, and the Chef's beer topic, has volunteered to drive this Saturday, and one of this week's tour-goers has volunteered to drive next week! I feel pretty lucky. Looks like we'll make it through another year, and may even have to do a THIRD Tour to accomodate the overflow waiting lists; I'll keep you posted.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large