• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crystall/Kristall Russian vodkas-The Moscow Times

beans

edit to add: Ooops the title ought to be "Crystall/Kristal Russian vodkas" [never trust my typing... or proof reading!]

Soyuzplodoimport, the state company created to manage Stolichnaya, Moskovskaya and other famous vodka brands it wrested from Shefler's SPI Group in 2002, has filed a complaint against the registration of the trademark Cristall, Kommersant reported Tuesday, citing a source in the state trademark and patent agency Rospatent.

The challenge could threaten the 13 vodkas from the so-called Cristall "black label" range of premium vodkas, which are produced by Sergei Zivenko's Kristall Trade and Industrial Group, a $400 million-per-year operation based around the Kristall distillery in Kaluga.

Soyuzplodoimport argues that Zivenko's Cristall is similar to the point of confusion to one of its trademarks -- Kristal -- which is bottled in the Krasnodar region.

Full article here.

Am I the only one that has had a hard time keeping the Cristall vodka story straight? I remember we ordered it way back when, couldn't get it for a period of time while I understood it was in the midst of a large lawsuit and since was somewhat "settled."

:wacko:

Something with all of that Russian steeped history with Sitka (wherein I spent much of my unruly youth) has always fascinated me -- that and the rare Winter wheat and glacial water distilled four times, I think????

alaska5.jpg

St. Michael's in the middle of downtown Sitka, Alaska.

Delicious vodka by the way.... Cheers!

Edited by beans (log)