• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Bob

Florida Jim

Yesterday, we went to Boca Grande, a small, once tumble-down island fishing village now up-scaled by an influx of retirees. It still retains its rustic charm despite the development. Bob Cuozzi was in residence at a condo there and he was kind enough to accommodate us overnight and fix us dinner.

When we arrived, we went into town to the Temptation restaurant for fried oysters, grouper fingers and a bottle of the 2002 Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc. The food was fresh and delicious and the wine was a mineral, grapefruit juice bomb – yummy.

‘Back to the condo for a walk on the beach and a little reading in a lounge chair down by the surf to wile away the afternoon.

In what can only be described as “leisurely dining” we enjoyed several courses with several wines:

With Perail cheese, a sheep’s milk cheese, on rustic bread toast we opened the 1996 Peter Michael, Chardonnay Cuvee Indigene and it was perfect. A little woody and weak at mid-palate in the absence of the food, this took on a spicy edge and better depth when paired with the food.

We also opened a 2002 Dom. Chantemerle (Boudin), Chablis Fourchaume that had a reticent citrus and fresh thyme nose and a slim, fairly closed palate that echoed the nose. As the evening progressed, this wine developed very nicely adding pears and peaches to the nose and palate as well as greater texture in the mouth and length; it was especially good with the capon.

Bob whipped up a little homemade chicken liver pate on toast and we opened a bottle of 2001 Tablas Creek, Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc which is 44% Rousanne, 22% Viognier, 18% Grenache and 16% Marsanne, or so the label claims. Alone this wine was a bit out of focus and had a little bit of a resinous quality but with the pate, all of its elements seemed to marry nicely and that resin element departed.

We set the table and Bob served roast capon with herbs, braised endive, sautéed leeks and rice pilaf with almonds and golden raisins. To accompany, a 2002 Terres Dorees (J.P. Brun), Beaujolais L’Ancien VV was a perfect match and the 2001 Dom. Montaude, Minervois although deeply flavored and rich was a little too structured to match as well as the Brun. Both excellent wines, just one better with this meal.

And as mentioned, the Chablis was stellar with the capon.

After the feast, we settled in to watch the movie “Adaptation” which I never quite got a hold of but we also set out some cheeses and Bob rewarded us with a bottle of the 1995 Quintarelli, Amarone. An utterly heavenly nose lead to a palate that was rich and deep and had absolutely no raisin or prune tones; nothing cooked or overripe in any degree, despite its 15% alcohol. This wine is fully integrated, perfectly balanced and the best example of its type I have had. A life list wine.

And then, to bed . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Great stuff Jim,

I noticed that no prices this time :smile:

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.