• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best BBQ in the DC Metro Area

fischwlu

My husband and I have gone to Famous Dave's BBQ in Sterling in "cascades" off of Route 7/Leesburg Pike twice now and it is very good and the service is perfect and flawless for this type of place. The only disappointment is that their hot sauce is more of a "vinegar" type not a real HOT, hot sauce according to my husband. I liked the "Georgia mustard" and some of the other sauces.

We shared an appetizer and hubby got a pulled pork sandwich, I got the catfish n ribs combo which hubby helped me with... the catfish was a bit overcooked but not too crispy and tasted fine, he ate his pretty fast so I can assume it was good.

:wub:

I hope we can find other BBQ places close to here that are worth going to... any suggestions anyone? THANKS! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

The best pork barbecue comes from my Weber after a thorough spice rub, about eight hours of slow smoking and some homemade, tangy yet spicy sauce comprised of cider vinegar, ketchup, red pepper flakes, molasses, ground ancho chiles, salt and pepper.

The problem with this establishment is that it's sporadic. If you show up unannounced, the proprietor might just make you wait the full eight hours (plus 15 minutes for him to dash off to the supermarket for some pork butts), boring you with his arcane stories while your order is custom-prepared.

If you are ever heading to the Shore, on the left side of Rt. 50 in Easton (East-bound) is a place called Smoky King, run by a Korean family. They weren't my favorite when they opened many years ago, but they have definitely perfected their smoking techniques. I recommend the pulled pork (it's saucy, but I like their sauce), plus sides of slaw, mac and cheese and kimchi (their one Korean touch, and it goes great with barbecue).

Also, on Kent Island, a small outfit called the Alabama Barbecue Company sets up shop (they consist of a trailer) in the parking lot of Baker's Liquors. It is on the right side heading east. Good stuff; some of their sauces are "experimental" though, like a blueberry barbecue sauce. I like their ribs.