• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Outstanding Baklava

mascarpone

As of late I have gotten my sweet fix at Uncle Nick's (9th Ave between 50th and 51st). The baklava there is beyond compare and the service is much better in the adjacent Tapas cafe than in the main restaurant (where on several occasions I was practically rushed out the door still chewing).

Any other recommendations on beautiful baklava in NYC?

• 5 months later...

I was able to stop by Omonia Cafe (32-20 Broadway @32nd Street, Astoria) after S'Agapo Taverna (43-21 34th Avenue, Astoria). I puchased Galaktoboureko (Filo-Custard cake), Baklava, and Kataif (the pastry that looks like shredded wheat). In comparison to the fare at the Poseidon Bakery (629 Ninth Ave @44th, Manhattan), the size of the pastry at Omonia Cafe is considerably larger. Baklava at the Poseidon Bakery is more expensive than that of the Omonia Cafe as one small piece is over $2 and one large slice of baklava at the Omonia Cafe is $2. As I have not tasted the Galaktoboureko or the Kataif at the Poseidon Bakery (although I have had several Folgera), I can't compare the taste of these other two pastries. Poseidon's baklava has a more dense and nutty texture, but is not as sweet as that at Omonia Cafe-- Poseidon's baklava has a different taste perhaps because it is made with Rose Water. I am more accustomed to the taste of baklava as made at Omonia Cafe. However, although very different, I like the baklava at the Poseidon Bakery as well.

I once had fantastic Baklava at  the Turkish grill restaurant Divane on 54th and 8th. Great place for everything, btw, and very moderately priced.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check this out at some point.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

There's a chain of Turkish "gourmet takeout" restaurants in Manhattan called Zeytuna or Zeytina (they are related despite the difference in name, I asked). Though mostly they are clustered around lower Manhattan, there's one on 41st street as well, next to the NY Public Library. They have passable baklava and sometimes even Turkish coffee.

• 1 month later...

Today my girlfriend and I went to Atlantic Ave. and got Lebanese Walnut baklava at the Damascus Syrian Bakery @195 Atlantic between Court and Clinton (718-625-7070; <www.damascuspastry.com>). It was very pleasant--not to dry or to syrupy; not to sweet. I liked it better that the baklava that I had in Brooklyn in June at Mansoura Persian Bakery@515 Kings Highway (718-645-7977). The Mansourawas different in that it had no syrup or honey and was therefore dry in comparison to Greek baklava. The baklava, made of pistachio at Mansoura, was good, however the portion was so small and so expensive that I felt a bit cheated.