• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another from NZ

Florida Jim

With turkey sandwiches and cauliflower soup with white truffle oil:

2002 Kahurangi, Unwooded Chardonnay (Nelson, NZ):

Clean and ripe chardonnay smells with hints of lemon zest/

Fruit sweet on the palate with flavors that follow the nose, almost prickly lemony acids, quite intense and focused, concentrated, tight but opened some with air/

Mouthwatering finish.

This was uncorked too soon but it did open over the course of the meal. Needs 3-5 years to round out the acids but certainly has the stuffing to go longer in the cellar.

$15.99, full retail. (less at Garagiste)

Aside: When I drink unwooded Chardonnay, I realize just how much I enjoy this variety. Lots of other white grapes can be as complex and can age as well but few can match the kind of purity that fine Chardonnay can deliver.

Of course, Chablis is my favorite, and although this wine is in that style, it definitely has its own distinctive stamp. I am looking forward to trying this again in three years.

Best, Jim

http://www.garagistewine.com/briggs.html

www.CowanCellars.com