• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with 1964 CdP or other Rhone

AmyH

As a 40th Birthday present, I am trying to track down a 1964 Cdp, Hermitage or other Rhone. I have found 4 from vintners that I have never heard of and the price of each (around 100$) has me leary. They are:

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE BROTTE ET FILS

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE GRIVELET CUSSET LEON

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE PATRIACHE

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE MAS ST. LOUIS

As compared with:

1964 Mont Redon Chateauneuf. $375 at 2020.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to purchase a single bottle and get it shipped. I suppose I could buy a case of something else +1.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I think you are really pushing the limits on the life of a Cdp. I think the northern rhones are going to stand up better for that age but would be quite a bit more than $100.

I've never heard of those Cdp's either. Any clue on there storage conditions?

Rodney

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE GRIVELET CUSSET LEON

CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE PATRIACHE

Grivelet Cusset and Patriarche are running negociant businesses in Burgundy today. (They buy young wine and vinificate and bottle it.)

Until today, some Burgundy negociants have southern Rhone operations.

In general, Id expect wine meant to be consumed in the first several years after bottling.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Thanks for all the help so far. It does not have to be a Rhone, but that is our favorite region. I hear you on those Cdp's. 2020 also has a 1964 Latour. Anyone know if they will ship just one bottle?

chef-

Thanks for the link. As luck would have it, our local wine shop is hosting a tasting dinner next week with some former French Laundry folks, including Lachlan Patterson (anyone, anyone, Bueller?), and one of the wines to be served is a 1964

Richebourg Grand Cru. So, for much less than the cost of purchase of a bottle, we will taste the '64, and if it wows us, the owner has put a bottle on reserve for me to purchase. The '64 Latour is tempting . . .