• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipotle Lovers Unite!

Malawry

This is the part I find most surprising:

ChipotleLovers.com is not associated with or endorsed by Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chomp a potle with the best of them.

Do not confuse with the fake potle.

This is sick. Do these idiots realize they're eating at McDonalds?

a) and that's makes someone an idiot how?

b) they're a subsidiary purchased after their creation; it's kind of like not liking an independent film because it was bought and distributed by one of the major studios

c) for what they are, they're pretty decent and more "Mexican" than many of their competitors that don't even use pork

'Round here the place is generally pronounced Chipottle (rhymes with bottle). The idea that this might be shortened to Pottle is too grim to contemplate

Man, I've had to stop myself giggling hearing the various ways, especially in the midwest and east, that Chipotle is pronounced. At least these guys know the correct way; they just have to make it frat-house appropriate so that phrases like, "Dude, after that beer bong, I made a puddle of potle."

Chomp a potle with the best of them.

Do not confuse with the fake potle.

This is sick. Do these idiots realize they're eating at McDonalds?

A little Extra to what Extra said.

Chipotle is pretty authentic. At least its burritos are when compared to other burritos I've had all around SF. If you want to argue that SF burritos (El Toro, Farolito, etc.) aren't authentic, go ahead, but do it yourself.

And Chipotle is pretty good. They're spice and serve respectable portions of meat and stuff. And for the most part, they use traditional ingredients. They certainly don't bastardize the stuff like other chains. And their quality is heads and shoulders above Taco Bell and it's ilk.

The biggest difference between Chipolte and the other "traditional" burrito joints I frequented in SF is character. Most SF burrito joints are . . . dumps. There's some merit in that, but many people obviously prefer to eat at the "upscale" Chipotle. I guess they think the food is safer.

Here's a thread on Chipotle.

Edited by Stone (log)

Isn't the actual condiment spelled "Chipolte"? At this chain, the T and L are transposed.

I'm pretty sure they are right. I've heard a lot of people pronounce it chi-pol-tee (including I think, Emeril) but the spelling is chipotle.

Bill Russell

This is the fast food joint that Rick Bayless should have done the commercial for :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The correct spelling is Chipotle. And I just had a carnitas burrito from the 34th street location. It's good! Bayless should be hawking these guys...

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Pronouced chip--oht-lay, not chip-oat-lay. (Although the recent Jack-in-the-Box commercials did make me smile, with the witless bubblehead struggling to pronounce "chip-o-top-lay, chip-tiple", until the chica at the famers market told him to "just go...")

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Pronouced chip--oht-lay, not chip-oat-lay. (Although the recent Jack-in-the-Box commercials did make me smile, with the witless bubblehead struggling to pronounce "chip-o-top-lay, chip-tiple", until the chica at the famers market told him to "just go...")

You need to clip the "oht" like the first syllable in Otto. The last syllable must be pronounced "le" not "le". Remember this is not a romance language. Frankly, I don't think there are many American tongues and glottises that can pronounce the word properly.

(Mark -- I didn't mean to sound as snappy as I did.)

Edited by Stone (log)

Is McDonald's involved with Chipotle? Yeah, somewhat. Though I think their percentage ownership is a lot smaller than what's being quoted, not to mention it's for sale. McDonald's is trimming their secondary businesses away so any savvy investors ready to pick up the major shareholder stake in Chipotle should be aware.

As for authenticity, it's not really truly Mexican, but it's damn good. It's Californian. Or Southwestern. Or some other such American bending and fusion of Mexican cuisine. How can you argue with Chipotle when they're slow-roasting Neiman Ranch pork with juniper berries and bay leaves for their carnitas? It's absolutely delicious and they're supporting family-owned, co-op farmed hog.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Well, "oht" and "oat" sound the same to me, unless you're saying the "oht" sounds like "ought".

It's "chee-poat-lay", if you pronounce the spanish vowels correctly ("ah"-"eh"-"ee"-"oh"-"oo"). Unless my 7th grade Spanish class did me wrong... :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Chipotle is pretty authentic. At least its burritos are when compared to other burritos I've had all around SF.

Is there such a thing as an authentic burrito? If so, what is it? I thought it was an American bastardization of Mexican food. A tasty bastardization.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith