• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Mobilize!

jogoode

Another great middle eastern restaurant - in Park Slope - is Laila on 14th st and 7th ave. Went there the other night for the first time. For an appetizer we split this hot fava bean soupy kind of thing. I expected it to be a cold dish from the menu, but it came hot. It was insanely good. Perfectly spiced and delicious. We devoured it.

For main course I had the kibbeh - which is sort of my weakness. It was also great - although I think I like Tanoreen's better. It was a little buttery and slightly mushy in the center. The edges were nice and crsipy though and that was the best part. It came with a fresh side salad and a cucumber yogurt sauce. Very delicious.

Wife had veal mousaka which was also amazing. Large chunks of veal that was so tender it was like butter. They also melted cheese on top. It was great - and I think I enjoyed it better than mine.

The whole thing came to about $30 before tip. Highly recomended.

~WBC

• 1 month later...

My top 2 brooklyn falafels:

SABAA -- Atlantic Ave near 4th Avenue -- spectacular

SAM'S BBQ and VEGETARIAN -- flatbush near Carlton -- quite good

I think the Falafel from Zaytoons (both locations) is a different style and not as good -- more of a rollup than a pita falafel

I have yet to try the Park Slope pita places -- pita pan and mr falafel

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

• 4 months later...

Sorry if it's buried further back in the thread, but has anyone tried Little Bistro? And would anybody be interested in starting a Heights/Cobble/Carrol food group? Maybe trying a new restaurant once a month, or potluck?

• 4 months later...

I second the recommendations for Famous Pita on Coney Island Avenue and Coco Roco on Smith Street.

Famous Pita has been a family staple all my life, and it really is that good.

Coco Roco is one of my favorite lunch spots nowadays - it's cheap, delicious, and right near where I work. The skirt steak with rice and beans and maduros lunch special is about $6 and absolutely delicious.

And a few new recommendations:

La Parada on 4th Ave. between 31st and 32nd. It's another cheap, delicious spot. Last time we were there, my boyfriend got the pernil (Caribbean-style roast pork) and maduros, his mother got shrimp in some sort of very garlicky sauce, and I got the soupy rice with garlic. It was all splendid. There's a great review of the place here.

There's a wonderful Malaysian restaurant in Bay Ridge just across the street and down the block from the Bay Parkway stop on the N, but I'm totally blanking on the name right now.

Also, blilie - I've been to Little Bistro, and I thought their duck confit in steamed Chinese buns was very tasty. But they seem to have closed down now! I kinda miss them.

I'd be interested in getting involved in a Brooklyn food group, definitely.

• 2 years later...

Bump!

Any suggestions for the immediate vicinity of the Brooklyn Museum/BBG, Saturday the 4th of July? We'll be three ladies and a stroller. Ethnic, casual preferred--or a place to pick up some sandwiches to eat in the park.

TIA.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish