• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Mobilize!

jogoode

nice list bpearis, I think Diner is, while crowded, very comfortable, it has a good feel, I don't even mind waiting for a table there.

I live in greenpoint, which is less fancy than next door williamsburg. I think the best thai is Amarin, not moonshadow. Amarin has a cleaner, less sugary/muddy style than moonshadow. LA italian on greenpoint and manhattan has cheap good hot subs. I would skip Ashbox way down the street overpriced, faux-prissy sandwhiches. Enid's brunch is good for a bloody mary and some biscuits and gravy, but get there early. I'll have to keep thinking, I guess I go out to drink more than eat in my area really. (Enids, Mark Bar, Royal Oak etc.)

Thanks for reinvigorating this thread, eatyououtofhouseandhome. (I think you might be one of the only eGullet members who has a user name that cries for a nickname. :smile:)

Recently, I've been going to Zaytoon's, the Middle Eastern place on Smith. I had THE BEST shawarma sandwich there a few days ago for dinner. The meat was tasty and juicy with charred edges. In general, the meat they serve is cooked nicely and is aggressively seasoned. The pitas there are great and I love their labneh (combined with mint and topped with olive oil), moudardra and foul (pronounced "fool", not "fa-OOL" as I've being saying it). Their menu describes the moudardra as a "Palestinian" dish of rice, lentils and onions. Theirs is the most rice-intensive version I've had, with very few lentils. The other version I'm familar with is that at Kalustyan's, which is largely lentils. Pan, or anyone, any idea whether there is a Palestinian version that is mostly rice? I enjoyed there Kibbeh, too, though it was my first time eating Kibbeh so I can't judge its relative quality.

There pitzas, however, look a little cheesy.

In Gourmet's New York issue, it highlighted Sunset Park Mexican. I've done only a little exploring there. Anyone have any favorites?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Pan, or anyone, any idea whether there is a Palestinian version that is mostly rice?

Beats me, JJ, but I'm no expert on Arab food. Glad you like Zaytoon's, though! Have you tried their merguez sandwich? I love it!

Michael aka "Pan"

had dinner at Downtown Atlantic on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn on tues...

we dined from the tuesday tapas menu and had dessert and a spanish wine pairing.

Tapas:

• Spanish Tortilla --- layered potato pancake
  • Chorizo and Grilled Garlic Shrimp
  • Grilled marinated octopus
  • Cod and Potato Fritter Balls
  • Roasted quail and polenta

Highlights were the tortilla and the chorizo and shrimp (delicious sauce)... The octopus was underwhelming --- too much marinade and too heavy obscured the texture and taste of the grilled octopus. The octopus itself was a little chewy also.

The cod fritters were also forgettable, served with a green sauce. The quail was very nice, kind of an amuse bouche sized item when shared, the polenta was nicely charred and very delicious.

The restaurant had a live flamenco guitarist while we ate that was very cool -- service was receptive and attentive. Our wine was a young spanish (02) with a nice fruit bouquet. Their wine list is split between sub 20 and 20 +... wait staff could learn the list and pairings a little better.

Dessert: chocolate mousse pot topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings --- AMAZING. simply divine. Washed each delicious taste down with capuccino.

Final bill with Tip was $84. Will definitely return to test the real menu.

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Salads are superb, most memorably a special of braised endive..., still crisp, served with sautéed cauliflower — my current candidate for most underrated vegetable — and blue cheese. Thick chickpea pancakes..., like blini, make a great combination with prosciutto, tangy pickled onions and roasted peppers.

Chestnut (Eric Asimov) (from Wednesday's NYTimes DIGEST update. You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Chef David Wurth, formerly of Savoy located in SoHo, offers a seasonal menu wrapped up in a neat little Brooklyn bistro package.

Chestnut

271 Smith Street (Degraw Street)

Telephone: (718) 243-0049

Mastercard and Visa

Soba

I agreed with Asimov that many of the dishes are way undersalted. The soups especially.

On another note, I went back to Zaytoon's for my shawarma sandwich. After I got the sandwich, I noticed that there was no enormous hunk of shawarna spinning on the rotisserie, next to the spinning chicken shawarma. When I got home and started to eat the sandwich, the meaty tasted pasty, almost mealy.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The pitas there are great and I love their labneh (combined with mint and topped with olive oil), moudardra and foul (pronounced "fool", not "fa-OOL" as I've being saying it).

Along with a bad shawarma sandwich, I recently had an overly salty foul. And I tried a cold "salad" of sundried tomatoes, onions and parlsey which tasted unpleasantly of burnt cumin.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

So I read in the Brooklyn Papers today that Friday's® is moving into the Gage and Tollner space.

link: http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/..._09/27_09bp.pdf

I was of course a little miffed about that but the more I think about it, probably only a restaurant corporation would be able to feasibly take on the space (and the, I must imagine, substantial rent). The space is landmarked so they will not be able to gut and "Fridayize" it. The article states that with the exception of signage and tables and such, that the restaurant décor will be left intact.

I won't be patronizing but should be the classiest Friday's in the nation.

There is also a review of Bluestone Grill on Columbia street in this edition.

cheers

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Very sad about the Gage and Tollner space, mjr.

Has anyone been to any of the Red Hook restaurants: Schnack, 360, Hope and Anchor?

I've also heard good things on eGullet about Dafonte's, a spot for heros in Red Hook. But I can't find anything on the Internet about where it is!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I've also heard good things on eGullet about Dafonte's, a spot for heros in Red Hook. But I can't find anything on the Internet about where it is!

Aha! Not Dafonte's, Defonte's.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Aha! Not Dafonte's, Defonte's.

Shop sounds gooooooood…. love eggplant on a hero.

I have been meaning to try schnack but don't really like the look of it too much from the outside.

-mjr

Brooklyn, NY, USA

JJ, et al:

I really like Schnack. It is very homey and comfortable, and an excellent value (big plate of fries, a beer and a slider = $4). The schnackies (sliders) and fries are very tasty and the artisanal sausages from Jubilat are wonderful, especially the extra-spicy kielbasa. Very cheap decent beer, oddball sides and condiments like the kind you might invent in your home kitchen, and an informative blog http://schnackdog.blogspot.com/ are my other reasons to like Schnack. One warning: Service is very laid-back.

If you're near there, brave the hipster onslaught and give it a shot.

You again, huh? :smile:

If you're near there, brave the hipster onslaught and give it a shot.

I didn't know hipsters liked sausages. But I guess there's cheap beer, so... When I go, I'll be sure to try that spicy kielbasa. But how are the dogs?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Don't forget the two best-kept secrets of Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill:

inside Long Island College Hospital on Atlantic Ave. you'll find a Taco Bell and a 24Hour Au Bon Pain. I've lived in the area for four years and haven't once been tempted, but it's sort of a 'break glass in case of an emergency' kind of thing. Plus, there's something so appealingly depressing about the image of eating at a 24 hour Au Bon Pain in a hospital. Perhaps Sofia Copola can use it as the setting for her next script...

I checked out 360 in Red Hook last summer. I don't remember specifically what I had, but it was a great value ($20 prix fixe i think). It's the perfect neighborhood bistro, but it's difficult to get to without a car, or a flock of bicycles.

Pete's on Atlantic Avenue between Henry and Clinton is easy to overlook since it looks like (and basically is) a run-down sportsbar but there's something winning about it - huge portions of mid-west comfort food. Ribs, venison chili, ostrich burgers, bratwurst platters, HP Brown sauce at every table, and an excellent selection of draft beers, including hand drawn cask ales which is pretty rare in the city, especially in Brooklyn.

Edited by snausages2000 (log)

inside Long Island College Hospital on Atlantic Ave. you'll find a Taco Bell

aka "Taco Hell"

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Espositos Pork Store on Court makes their own sausage and sopressata; they also make great rice balls.

Sweet Melissa's bakery, also on Court, has something called the Brioche Bread Pudding Cake that is certifiably insane.

Those are my two for best in Cobble Hill. I haven't been too impressed with many of the restaurants, much of the cooking seems lazy (poorly seasoned, cookbook-type stuff).

Espositos Pork Store on Court makes their own sausage and sopressata; they also make great rice balls.

I was around 39th Street and 9th Ave. the other day and noticed a much larger butcher shop also called Esposito's Pork. But for some reason I doubt that there is any relation.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Sweet Melissa's bakery, also on Court, has something called the Brioche Bread Pudding Cake that is certifiably insane.

I'll second the praise for Sweet Melissa's. Don't know anywhere in NY that makes better madeleines. Not a massive selection, but possibly my favorite bakery in the city.

Has anyone been to the Grocery? Is it worth a visit?

I find one of the greatest things about the neighborhood is the abundance of decent restaurants with atmospheric backyard dining -- sweet melissa comes to mind, as does Joya.

-mjr

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I'll second the praise for Sweet Melissa's. Don't know anywhere in NY that makes better madeleines. Not a massive selection, but possibly my favorite bakery in the city.

When I'm craving a good, dense, irresistable chocolate dessert, Sweet Melissa's Chocolate-Peanut Butter Indulgence is what I head for. Not quite cake, more like spoonable fudge and peanut layers covered with ganache. A mysterious crunchy layer towards the bottom (wafer cookies? rice crispies?) adds just the right textural contrast. Next time I go in for my fix, I'll try to remember to try the madeleines and the BBPC too.

Dumont in Williamsburg get a well-deserved shout-out from Gael Greene in the new New York:

Chef Polo Dobkin’s proud father dragged me to Williamsburg, kicking and grumbling, for dinner at DuMont, casual, cheap, and very young. Tucking into the hearty portions of lamb ragout with gnocchi, braised short ribs, and thick-sliced duck breast with a poblano tamale and celery has made me a commuter.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the whole blurb.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Does anyone have any good lunch suggestions near the Brooklyn courthouse? Yup -- jury duty later this week. I suspect Andy's crispy bean curd in garlic sauce will get me through one day, but the other meals stretch out before me...

Thanks in advance to any Court Street locals!

We went to Grocery about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was great and the staff were super-friendly and accomodating, despite the busy Saturday night. It's cosy and welcoming with a creative menu and a reasonable wine list too.

I'd endorse the other local places mentioned above. I was glad to see Pete's Waterfront Alehouse given its props - simple but good. I also like Henry's End, Noodle Pudding (both on Henry St) and the new place Centro on Montague St which does good mussel bowls, amongst others. It sticks to staples, but Montague St has been short of anywhere worth eating for years so it's good to have something worth visiting at last. I didn't notice anyone in the thread mention Patois on Smith St.; too obvious perhaps.

Other places worth honorable mention include Palmira's (Italian, at Clark St), and the more creative Alicia's Cafe hidden away on Columbia Place. I'm hoping to try the new Curry Leaf outpost on Remsen Street soon - the area is in dire need of a good Indian restaurant, so fingers crossed for this one...

I didn't notice anyone in the thread mention Patois on Smith St.; too obvious perhaps.

Why too obvious? And what type of food do they serve, at what kind of prices?

Michael aka "Pan"