• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poor folk wine

Pogo

but two-buck was a god-send for me during my unemployed hiatus.

For one thing, it allowed me to keep my wine cellar of good wine intact until I had $$$ again to entertain and cook food worthy of it...

My apoligies to you regarding my prior post. Didn't read your later post before replying. All things considered, 2 buck chuck during unemployment was probably pretty good. There are worse things to deal with.

Buy Franzia in a box -- it is the same product (different marketing scheme, but same producer).

According to this, Fred Franzia "has no connection to the Franzia wine brand."

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/liv...ood/5319698.htm

Edit: But they're wrong, aren't they?

I think they are wrong. Two-Buck Chuck is produced by Bronco Wine Company. BWC

produces wines under the ForestVille, Estrella, Charles Shaw, Montpellier, Grand Cru, Silver Ridge, Rutherford Vintners, Hacienda, FoxHollow, and Napa Ridge brands, among others. With a 35,000-acre vineyard, the bulk wine producer has a 61 million gallon capacity. Bronco Wine created a stir in the wine industry in early 2003 by selling its Charles Shaw brand for $1.99 in Trader Joe's Company locations. (The wine, dubbed "drinkable" by many, quickly gained the nickname Two-Buck Chuck.) A second "super value wine" is bottled under the SeaRidge label. CEO Fred Franzia started Bronco Wine in 1973; he and his family own the company.

I got that quote from Hoovers Online (a business Information Authority).

Castle Rock has a very nice Russian River Valley Pinot Noir.

I like this wine too. :biggrin: I just can't seem to find it again. Forgot where I bought it in the first place. I was able to get 6 bottles for $8.99 each in the New Hampshire state liquor store on I-95 in September. A nice wine and a really nice price!

KathyM

three words: two-buck chuck

(at Trader Joes)

Aaaaaagggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I thought it would provoke some comment (or sounds of strangulated, gasping... :smile: ) but two-buck was a god-send for me during my unemployed hiatus.

For one thing, it allowed me to keep my wine cellar of good wine intact until I had $$$ again to entertain and cook food worthy of it...

Have you read the Bureaucrats and Food Stamps thread? Because this is sort of like it. :laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all in favor of moderately priced wine. But "Two-Buck Chuck" does seem like a Wal-Mart-style squeeze on small producers. If paying a few extra dollars means that more vineyards remain viable, it seems like a small price to pay.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"